Digital Workshop

Welcome to the Digital Workshop Message Boards
It is currently May 16th, 2024, 4:54 am

All times are UTC [ DST ]

Post subject: Crash losses
PostPosted: November 22nd, 2010, 2:31 am 

I sometimes crash Opus with my infinite loops. Although the backup does a good job, I use a lot of imported script objects in which all changes are lost. Would it be possible for these to backup as well?
Cheers
Dan

+ physical layering + clonable list boxes come to mind

For this message dan1 has been thanked by : mackavi

Profile Visit website  

Post subject: Re: Crash losses
PostPosted: November 23rd, 2010, 7:18 am 

And to add to this... I find problems occur when working with scripts once they get over about 1000 lines. The display of code is affected and editing becomes difficult. To cope with this, I just decided to split one of my script objects into two using copy and paste in the editor. I then deleted half the functions from one of these objects and saved, intending to save the remainder of them in the copy. Ooops. As it was an imported script it was also lost from the copy. A silly mistake, but there is no going back from it. I back up each day, so only lost 3 or 4 hours work, but again, some help with maintaining external scripts would be great.
Cheers
Dan

Profile Visit website  

PostPosted: November 23rd, 2010, 8:03 am 

Hi Dan,
I find that 1000 lines per script is about the safe limit for the internal editor to handle; they start getting slower from 700 lines and refresh errors start to appear if using a ctrl-Z undo.
I pushed one script out to 1400 lines (I seem to remember) and the editor stopped responding; the upper limit seems to depend on number of chars in the script.
Opus will not be able to track external scripts -- you might want to look into using version control software.

cheers
paul

For this message Paul has been thanked by : mackavi

PostPosted: November 26th, 2010, 12:15 pm 

Opus: Pro 8
System: Dell XPS15 i7x4 2.1Ghz 6GB 128GB SSD
I don't quite understand how you're crashing Opus with an infinte loop. If you write an infinite loop in script, just pressing escape should still get you out of the preview.

If you're using external script files you can use an external editor, which won't lose your changes.

For this message Dave Emberton has been thanked by : mackavi

Profile Visit website  

PostPosted: November 26th, 2010, 7:24 pm 

Dave Emberton wrote:
I don't quite understand how you're crashing Opus with an infinte loop. If you write an infinite loop in script, just pressing escape should still get you out of the preview.

I've been stuck in a loop on various occasions and using the escape key does not always break out of the preview...

Paul

For this message Paul has been thanked by : mackavi

PostPosted: November 27th, 2010, 12:46 am 

Hi Dave
It was a generic 'infinite loops', refering to any occasion when the Esc doesn't get you out of the preview ie. it crashes. I'll try and note occasions when this happens in future if it helps.
I use an editor sometimes, but obviously it is more convenient to stay in Opus where poss. This was a wish list, so I wished for it :)
Cheers
Dan

Profile Visit website  

PostPosted: December 8th, 2010, 9:37 pm 
Godlike
Godlike

Opus: OpusPro v9.0x, & Evol.
System: Core 2 duo 2Ghz, RAM 3GB, Nvidia Go 7700 - laptop
Quote:
Opus will not be able to track external scripts -- you might want to look into using version control software.

I happened to come across Fossil when looking for some 'tools' for other purposes. While Fossil is designed for versioning on a server for team/colleague access, it seems that you could use it on your local PC (maybe needs to have web server though?).
Link: http://www.fossil-scm.org/index.html/do ... cepts.wiki

Since your OP is about external Opus script files, you may want to look into NotePad++ or Crimson Editor for their built-in back-up utilities. Crimson seems to have an option to auto-append incrementing digits, so I would think multiple/series backups. Both editors highlight syntax (I find Java and Actionscript languages are closest match).

(I still do most of my scripting inside Opus' workspace -- mostly out of habit, and partly for liking the pop-up helper/completer for commands... less strain on my old brain cells).

For this message Lar_123 has been thanked by : mackavi