Digital Workshop

Welcome to the Digital Workshop Message Boards
It is currently May 15th, 2024, 2:05 pm

All times are UTC [ DST ]

Post subject: New Output Options?
PostPosted: July 17th, 2012, 3:19 pm 

Since these 2 questions keep cropping up, I'm posting here as a "catch-all" for new output options. Here goes:

1. EVERYONE is asking me for iPad output. I don't really want a workaround, I don't really want to start programming on a Mac. I would LOVE to have something that Opus can output as code for an iPad. Since that piece of hardware works from a similar engine to the script that Opus uses, would it be possible to create an add-on for Opus (hey, I'd pay for it!) to output an iPad-acceptable program?

2. Output to HTML5? It's in posts on these boards as well as around the web. Is DW interested in providing this?

Other output types, anyone?'

For this message R. Gengerke has been thanked by : lmc, mackavi, Roxie

Post subject: Re: New Output Options?
PostPosted: July 23rd, 2012, 3:03 pm 

Opus: Pro 9.75
System: MacBook Pro (Intel 2020)
You can add my name to this list, although my position on this has been highlighted in the past, I frequently request iOS and HTML5 support.

In my opinion the future of computing is iOS, Android and HTML5. Opus needs to have publish options for these platforms to ensure that Opus stays relevant as a development environment. And yes, I too will pay for export options to these platforms, I am willing to pay an annual subscription fee too.

Adobe Flash is in rapid decline, and so too are published EXEs. EXE downloads, even code signed EXEs are now being flagging in Chrome as possible malware, and this assault on EXEs will continue, pushing developers to the officially app store route for distribution of their apps.

I requested support for XML & JSON in a previous post, as we move to always connected devices (we're already there) we need a better way to communicate with online APIs and databases. Supporting XML & JSON would make this a lot easier.

DW I do hope you are working on this.

For this message lmc has been thanked by : mackavi

PostPosted: July 31st, 2012, 2:00 am 

Happy to add my name to the list needing iOS, Android & HTML5 output from Opus.

Since the Illuminatus days I have used Opus as my main tool to build multimedia programs.
I now find that I am using other solutions to remain relevant. The industry has changed dramatically - I want to get back to using only Opus.

For this message Trevor Boulton has been thanked by : lmc, mackavi, Roxie

Profile Visit website  

PostPosted: October 2nd, 2012, 8:22 am 

Opus: Pro 9.75
System: MacBook Pro (Intel 2020)
There are a few products that compile your app in the cloud for iOS and Android: when you click build the project is uploaded to their servers and it builds it in iOS/Android and then you download the app to your desktop.

This opens the door to an annual subscription service for DW, believe me I would be willing to pay for this and have no problem signing up for a paid service if we get iOS/Android export. This system would also allow DW to build the app which ever way they wanted, even bolting an emulator to play the ilm files, and wrapping it up together. Apple allow this now and Android always has.

For this message lmc has been thanked by : mackavi

PostPosted: November 27th, 2012, 1:50 pm 

Opus: illuminatus > Evolution
System: i7 8GB RAM
Another name to the list! - I've been asking for this for some time: viewtopic.php?f=11&t=4684&p=22435

I've been developing for android in HTML5 for a while now and haven't really been using opus because of this :(

For this message jezjones29 has been thanked by : mackavi

Profile Visit website  

PostPosted: November 27th, 2012, 3:12 pm 
Godlike
Godlike

Opus: Opus Pro 9.75
System: Core i7, 16G RAM, Nvidia 640GT (desktop), plus Windows 10 and Android tablets
I would add my voice for exporting to Android APK. I've tested on a couple of new Android tablets (Nexus 7 and Nexus 10) and an Android phone, using APK's generated in CS6 Flash (ActionScript 3) for Android-based AIR player deployment. These look and work great. The intellectual property can be protected by using secureSWF (http://www.kindi.com/) which can protect APK or AIR files in addition to SWF's. In most cases, having these projects already built in Opus 8, I've had to go back and painstakingly convert them to AS3, so they could be exported from Flash CS6 to these APK's.

It would be wonderful if all of the development in Opus 8 could be leveraged for APK export, with (or even without) AIR player compatibility. To do this, DW would need to add this export feature to either Opus Professional or Opus Flex. The AIR (Adobe Integrated Runtime) player, found free in the Google Play store (player is kept up to date by Adobe for the latest Android OS and continuously improved with Android native features), has replaced the Flash player for AS3. It would probably be better for Opus APK export if the AIR player could be available. Running inside the player adds stability, full-screen, auto-rotation view, etc. For Opus, I think this would involve leveraging, if permitted, the AIR SDK, and likely converting Opus Flex to full AS3.

IMO, AS3 offers far more complex animation, classes, features than found in HTML5, even as HTML5 matures. The AIR player's support for both shared objects and Encrypted Local Store, for example, allows for data storage/retrieval on the device.

My estimation is that Android will be one of the key players in the mobile/tablet market, if not the leader, going forward. Android APK's can be side-loaded on devices (do not require download from a store) while IOS and Win 8 RT do not allow side-loading. Combining the super capabilities of Opus with APK export, maybe APK/AIR export, would be a huge added value.

Just some thoughts...

Kind Regards,

For this message Stephen has been thanked by : mackavi

PostPosted: January 12th, 2013, 10:23 pm 

Opus: Evolution 8.5
System: AMD Phenom(tm) II X6 1055T Processor 2.80GHz
Count me in too.... Any idea how long it will be before we see this implemented?
Pete

For this message Pete Smithies has been thanked by : mackavi

Profile Visit website  

PostPosted: January 24th, 2013, 4:01 pm 

Opus: 7
Android APK Output via AIR would be a huge step forward for OPUS! Count me in too.

If only we had some notion as to whether this was actually being worked on; it would be wonderful if there was some kind of roadmap for the future development of the product, even a hint.

For this message stockport has been thanked by : mackavi

PostPosted: January 24th, 2013, 4:37 pm 

Quote:
If only we had some notion as to whether this was actually being worked on; it would be wonderful if there was some kind of roadmap for the future development of the product, even a hint.

I agree. Recently, I've noticed 2 high-end (as in "high cost") products on the market which can use the same source file and automatically generate output -- simultaneously -- for iPad, Android and HTML5. Their interfaces are not as user-friendly as Opus, their capabilities are not as flexible. However, they have the benefits of multiple outputs and numerous templates. (And no, I will not insult DW by posting the competition's names -- I believe in goood manners and loyalty.)

Meanwhile, I urge DW to come forward with a flexible update/upgrade!

For this message R. Gengerke has been thanked by : mackavi

PostPosted: January 24th, 2013, 5:23 pm 
Godlike
Godlike

Opus: Evolution
stockport wrote:

I was under the impression they had. They've been adversing that they will be supporting HTML5 and providing examples of how the progress is going.

Mack

Interactive Solutions for Business & Education
Learn Anywhere. Learn Anytime.

www.interaktiv.co.uk
+44 (0) 1395 548057

Profile Visit website  

PostPosted: January 24th, 2013, 5:36 pm 

Opus: illuminatus > Evolution
System: i7 8GB RAM
I thought it was yes only to the HTML 5 (not the direct app creation)

For this message jezjones29 has been thanked by : mackavi

Profile Visit website  

PostPosted: January 24th, 2013, 5:40 pm 
Godlike
Godlike

System: Core i7, 16G RAM, Nvidia 640GT (desktop), plus Windows 10 and Android tablets
Hi,

Having some years of experience using Opus, plus now some practice with developing for Android using AS3 (Flash exporting to AIR as an APK), it would be wonderful if it were possible to leverage Opus's excellent features, ease of use, into an AIR APK, or, at minimum, as an APK.

The AIR player, IMO, is replacing the Flash player on mobile, with Adobe seemingly committed to AIR's keeping up with compatibility for new OS's/device's, plus adding native features. AIR player APK's re-size nicely (full screen) and run well on the wide variety of mobile screens.

Having said that, if the AIR SDK cannot be used/integrated, it would still be very useful to give Opus a non-AIR APK export (probably through using Eclipse and the Google developer tools).

While IOS and Win 8 RT apps cannot be side-loaded, thereby requiring installation from their respective stores, APK's can, so the Google Play store is optional. (I side-load APK's on my Nexus 10 tablet for testing routinely.) APK = more flexibility.

As previously said, I believe that Android will be a major player in mobile going forward. And, as mentioned earlier, a tool like secureSWF 4 can protect/secure APK files.

Kind Regards,

PostPosted: January 24th, 2013, 6:23 pm 

Quote:
if the AIR SDK cannot be used/integrated, it would still be very useful to give Opus a non-AIR APK export (probably through using Eclipse and the Google developer tools).

I was just struck by the amount of leveraging required in order to make the plan work -- reminds me a little bit of the old Illuminatus days, when we needed to direct the program where to locate video files, which were stored externally to an executable.

Am I mistaken, or aren't we all interested in a seamless solution -- i.e., one that packages the output without the need to resort to other developer tools? Must I be required to use third party tools to protect SWF contents? Must there even be SWF contents?

In short: It seems (to me) that it would be an awkward situation to first publish, then to have to apply a post-publication tool in order to render the results playable on a device. It is clearly possible to offer an elegant publishing solution (other authoring tools now do this).

Historically, DW has delivered this kind of critical functionality -- and I hope there's enough support that it will continue to do so.

For this message R. Gengerke has been thanked by : mackavi

PostPosted: January 24th, 2013, 7:18 pm 
Godlike
Godlike

Agreed, the smoother the better.

A few additional pieces of information: the Flash to AIR APK is smooth. One step publish, setting the export to Android. Out comes an APK with either integrated AIR player in the package or, if you choose, not. If not, if the end-user doesn't have an Android AIR player installed on their mobile device, just like with Flash player, they are prompted to install it, free from the Google Play store. No visible SWF. Just an APK. Yes, if you want to secure the AS3, secure intellectual property at AES 256 encryption, or domain locking, you would need a separate, but quick step using a tool like secureSWF to process the APK (not SWF). So, if this route can be similarly used by Opus, fairly smooth and quick. While a separate player, AIR, is needed, the player does, in my experience, assure stable playback and excellent re-sizing on a wide range of devices.

I briefly played with the APK developer tools earlier, which uses Eclipse. Can't say if this could also be easily integrated into Opus export seamlessly. But possibly yes, since I suspect that this is what Adobe has done, integrating the Android developer tools into the AIR SDK. Hopefully, DW could do something similar, seamlessly exporting an Opus pub as an (non-AIR) APK.

Again, the more seamless the better.

PostPosted: January 24th, 2013, 10:30 pm 
Godlike
Godlike

Opus: OpusPro v9.0x, & Evol.
System: Core 2 duo 2Ghz, RAM 3GB, Nvidia Go 7700 - laptop
R. Gengerke wrote:
Quote:
if the AIR SDK cannot be used/integrated, it would still be very useful to give Opus a non-AIR APK export (probably through using Eclipse and the Google developer tools).
[partial quote:]
Am I mistaken, or aren't we all interested in a seamless solution -- i.e., one that packages the output without the need to resort to other developer tools? Must I be required to use third party tools to protect SWF contents? Must there even be SWF contents?

I, for one, do not want a seamless solution if it is at the expense of shedding or dumping a number of currently available tools and features in OpusPro. In our current scenario, that is evident in "Actions not supported in Flex-type Opus pubs". I would prefer using a developer suite and tool chain as Stephen outlined if we can preserve all or most of Opus' power features.

One area I wish for but do not hold out much hope going forward is a way for OpusPro to integrate SQLite DB on the client or device, beyond the current capability for Windows platform. I think there are a number of mobile apps that couple with SQLite, but these are probably native Apps. SQLite BTW has a very simple (1 file) and small footprint.

FWIW and a bit off-topic, I have held-off on my project for a while -- due to the ground-swell of mobile devices, and more recently the widespread love of the cloud. My Pub was to be a content intensive Pub... with the Opus Pages and their rich-media being a presentation layer. I still need Opus scripting for control, logic, navigation... AND for capture of User input into storage (ideally the DB kept on the client/device). I too would love to have Opus be my tool here, but if I consider the cloud as a factor, I may need to use front-end Authoring tools and a multi-Publishing provider. Unfortunately, there I must give up some rich media and probably forego client-side data capture.

For this message Lar_123 has been thanked by : mackavi