It is currently May 15th, 2024, 3:52 pm

All times are UTC [ DST ]

Post subject: A Keystone Frame for perspective
PostPosted: December 24th, 2012, 3:49 am 
Godlike
Godlike

Opus: OpusPro v9.0x, & Evol.
System: Core 2 duo 2Ghz, RAM 3GB, Nvidia Go 7700 - laptop
Currently frames have the wonderful ability to pass their attributes to any children contained in the frame (skews, etc).

I would like to have a super-frame object that has edit point characteristics, so I can create a perspective. Essentially making a trapezoid that shrinks the shapes to mimick a 3D perspective.

Any objects, maybe excepting Video, which are children of the Frame would inherit that morph. Sure, I'd like video to be transformed as well -- but I assume that is a much more difficult programming effort at this level of engagement with the windows system. (in a previous laptop, I had an nVidia chip that provided the 'keystone' adjustment, mostly intended for correcting aspect of presention slides on the projection screen. I expect that was easier to implement at the graphics card level than at the application level.)

For this message Lar_123 has been thanked by : mackavi

Post subject: Re: A Keystone Frame for perspective
PostPosted: December 28th, 2012, 10:58 am 

Opus: Pro 8
System: Dell XPS15 i7x4 2.1Ghz 6GB 128GB SSD
Have you looked at the roll and spin animation actions? Sounds like that's exactly what you want. :D

For this message Dave Emberton has been thanked by : mackavi

Profile Visit website  

Post subject: Re: A Keystone Frame for perspective
PostPosted: December 28th, 2012, 2:50 pm 
Godlike
Godlike

Opus: OpusPro v9.0x, & Evol.
System: Core 2 duo 2Ghz, RAM 3GB, Nvidia Go 7700 - laptop
Dave Emberton wrote:
Have you looked at the roll and spin animation actions? Sounds like that's exactly what you want. :D
Thanks for that memory-jog Dave. I had used Roll, Spin, etc... but mostly more dynamically and in-motion.

So I now tried implementing it more in a static fashion. Take a Frame object and Roll it back to a fixed angle, and likewise Spin the Frame also to a fixed angle so the right edge appears further away. Also in my little test of this, I applied a 140% Horizontal Stretch to the Frame.

So I have attached a screenshot of Opus Preview page.
The photo shows a painted fence that clearly illustrates the near/far perspective.
Then I tried to match or mimmick that perspective for a rectangle vector object (orange colour). I used a Frame of course so that all of the transforms get inherited by the objects inside the Frame.
The test --- how does the Vector object look compared to the perspective fence?

Conclusion: the main problem here is that it is very much trial and error --- going into Preview and assert the animation to static position. If it does not look right, return to the editor... tweak the animation settings, and Preview/try again. To get better perspective than this, I would need a few more passes at it, and may have to add some vertical Skew.

Real-world application.
If I want to make a simple Scrolling photo display, say in landscape orientation, and have the center image show normally but have left and right side images recede in perspective. For example, a watchband can be seen this way with some perspective. Right now, I guess I would simply mimmick a Photo Marquee or Panning by decreasing size of adjacent frames.

Another use/application I tried in the past, but failed.
Bear in mind, I want to design and set these next scenes up in the Opus Editor, as part of the Page layout. It is a poor workaround to have to labour at it in the runtime Pub.
I wanted to create a wall of pics where the display panels create some visual perspective. Or a circle of display panels. Attached_2 shows such mock-ups.
Neither the ring-of-pics nor the video-wall achieved a real perspective view. (I used skew and rotate mainly)

So, at this point the idea for a Keystone Frame is just an idea.

You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.

For this message Lar_123 has been thanked by : mackavi