Welcome to the Digital Workshop Message Boards
It is currently May 16th, 2024, 5:00 pm

All times are UTC [ DST ]

Post subject: Wish there was a mouse enabled notes box icon
PostPosted: August 29th, 2013, 11:45 pm 

Opus: Opus Pro Latest version 9.02 Build 16458
System: Asus laptop Intel Core i5 8 gig ram, big monitor, reading glasses
Greetings

Currently each page has a notes area where you can make notes about a particular page.

There is a notes area also in the properties information area.

The help file talks about a notes box but make no mention about how to access or enable it.

What I'd like is a notes box icon on a toolbar that I can click on no matter where I am in a publication. For example, I'm about to change the font and colour on thirty pages or so. I'd like to record the colour HTML number and the font names used to remind me as I work through the changes. A global scribble pad as it were.

Perhaps a side tab could be useful for global notes as opposed to page notes, not that there is anything wrong with page notes.

I'm off now to find something ancient called a pen that works and oh, some paper as well. :D

Cheers

Graham

For this message Graham Baglin has been thanked by : mackavi

Post subject: Re: Wish there was a mouse enabled notes box icon
PostPosted: August 30th, 2013, 9:08 am 
Godlike
Godlike

Opus: Evolution
Morning Graham,

The notes box is the pane at the bottom of the screen that you've already reference.

Opus also has the comments object for more visual notes - though it's also page based.

Worth a mention but off track is that you also have the organiser colour - great for managing master pages on large projects and reflecting changes in a group.

If it must be in the project, then you could just create a chapter and add unused pages and keep notes there.

Personally, I use a tree based PIM (or note management) - as it makes it very easy to keep key information in usable sections in one place. For example, clients > client name > project name are the key section headings and I can then add note branches to any section. A good PIM has good formatting tools - so the notes can be much more than just text.

Mack

Interactive Solutions for Business & Education
Learn Anywhere. Learn Anytime.

www.interaktiv.co.uk
+44 (0) 1395 548057

Profile Visit website  

PostPosted: August 30th, 2013, 11:29 pm 

Opus: Opus Pro Latest version 9.02 Build 16458
System: Asus laptop Intel Core i5 8 gig ram, big monitor, reading glasses
Thanks for commenting Mack and good morning to you also

The problem I see with page based recording is that one has to leave the page they are working on to see the page they have notes on. Lots of swapping to and fro.

I'd just like a button on the toolbar that brings up a small notebook kind of page, where one can make notes before closing. No need to swap pages to and fro.

If the notes could be attached to the imp file, so that every time you open that publication, your existing notes open also and are accessible by a mouseclick.

I've looked at sticky note kinds of software and so on but these require you to remember you actually have notes attached to a particular publication. Same with pen and paper!

The test box on a blank page is a good idea but you still have the swapping pages thing going on.

Maybe the page notes section could be toggled through the customised tools menu into a global notes section so the same notes are on-screen regardless of the page worked on? That way, whatever notes you made would be loaded automatically whenever the publication imp file is opened.

Cheers as always

Graham

For this message Graham Baglin has been thanked by : mackavi

PostPosted: August 31st, 2013, 11:29 pm 
Godlike
Godlike

Opus: OpusPro v9.0x, & Evol.
System: Core 2 duo 2Ghz, RAM 3GB, Nvidia Go 7700 - laptop
Graham,

I think I understand what you're getting at, but like Mack I've resorted to external note managers. I've tried various, but it seems anything tied to M$ screws up code and script segments pasted in (OneNote). But I like OneNote for handling some Page Preview snapshots (as thumbnails etc), to provide a visual reference.

OpusPro has an option to allow having multiple Publications open at the same time, so that may be a way to create a parallel Pub for dev notes.

Another idea is to simply use a Script Object within a Pub for all your notes, between a pair of comment markers ( /* notes notes */ ). However, the console stays inside Opus work area. You can try a couple approaches... place the script obj on a Master Page so it is available everywhere. Also, use the External File option so you can edit from within Opus, or simultaneously make edits using Notepad++ or Crimson editor etc.

For this message Lar_123 has been thanked by : mackavi

PostPosted: September 1st, 2013, 12:07 pm 
Godlike
Godlike

Opus: Evolution
@Lar,

I think it's Notepad++ that has a plugin that allows you to copy as RTF. You can then format OpusScript as JS and copy and paste formatted text into your favourite note manager that supports RTF and it keeps the visual appearance.

Mack

Interactive Solutions for Business & Education
Learn Anywhere. Learn Anytime.

www.interaktiv.co.uk
+44 (0) 1395 548057

Profile Visit website