Digital Workshop

Welcome to the Digital Workshop Message Boards
It is currently May 17th, 2024, 8:36 am

All times are UTC [ DST ]

Post subject: Custom Actions and Custom Triggers
PostPosted: October 10th, 2007, 2:03 am 
Custom Actions and Custom Triggers can be valuable tools. I'm sure many people do not use them because they find the concepts confusing. I hope this tutorial removes some of that confusion.

I find them useful in two situations, but there are many more uses where they can be valuable.

My main use of these tools is for developing the equivalent of functions where I might want to repeat series of actions that need to be triggered by different actions or objects on a page; or where I want to repeat the same series of actions on different pages across a publication. Once I've set up a custom action + custom trigger combo, it becomes simple to set up repetitive actions.

A secondary but important use for me is the ability to more precisely coordinate/synchronise multiple separate but related actions.

I have attached a small publication in which I detail how to set up these tools. This tutorial is developed with Opus Pro v.6.

In addition to explaining the hows of Custom Triggers/Actions, I have attached sound bites so you can concentrate on the tutorial rather than trying to simultaneously read and watch the actions. I developed these sound files by using the techniques I've described elsewhere. It you don't want the sounds, turn off your speakers.

Last edited by Sentosa on October 10th, 2007, 9:47 am, edited 1 time in total.

Post subject:
PostPosted: October 10th, 2007, 9:44 am 

Opus: Opus Pro 9
Hi Ray,

that sounds very interesting. Thanks for this tutorial. :D

T.

For this message Tarantoga has been thanked by : mackavi

Profile Visit website  

Post subject: Tutorial
PostPosted: October 11th, 2007, 11:24 pm 

Hi Ray,

Thanks for this! It is a really great tutorial.

I learnt lots.

Regards

Neil :D

2 Gig Ram
XP SP2

For this message Nitro has been thanked by : mackavi

Post subject:
PostPosted: February 7th, 2009, 4:57 pm 

Opus: 7
System: Asus P5Q3 Deluxe, Core 2 Duo E8500, 8 Gb DDR3 1333 mhz, His IceQ5 5770 HD Graphic Card, Samsung T220 Monitor; Lenovo G550 T6600, 4 GB DDR3 - 15,6".
Hy Sentosa, How are you?

I could not find the tutorial regarding the custom actions and custom triggers.

I am creating a publication with the navigation buttons to go to the table of contents, back and forward in pages and a button to leave the publication. I know that there are actions ready for this, but I hold much stock in these pages through the trigger customize.

The user interacts through keyboard commands, and click the left mouse button for each. I can attach these triggers on the page instead of the buttons as usual frames? I know that the path is more difficult but more elegant for the purpose of registration of the program.

Your tutorial could be of great help. You could give me some tips? I did See the help of the program but I was confused because there are no examples of how to do things the way I need. I am grateful.

For this message NilsonBrasil has been thanked by : mackavi

Post subject:
PostPosted: February 16th, 2009, 12:11 am 

I could not find the tutorial regarding the custom actions and custom triggers.

That and other tutorials in a major collection of tutorials I produced is no longer available. People wanted to use them but were not prepared to pay a nominal amount to off-set the then significant storage costs of my maintaining them on my website.

Commet for NilsonBrasil:
I spent more than 600 hours developing "A Guide to Opus". For several years I made it available at no charge. After wasting several hundred dollars to pay for storage, as asked for $5 per download.

No one was prepared to pay this, yet many were charging significant amounts for the publications that they developed.

During the 8 years that I posted regularly, I gave time and assistance to many people. When I see a similar helpful contribution from you, I'll accept your right to criticise me. Until then...?

Sentosa
aka Esmeralda

For this message Esmeralda has been thanked by : mackavi

Last edited by Esmeralda on February 16th, 2009, 5:23 am, edited 2 times in total.

Post subject:
PostPosted: February 16th, 2009, 4:11 am 

System: Asus P5Q3 Deluxe, Core 2 Duo E8500, 8 Gb DDR3 1333 mhz, His IceQ5 5770 HD Graphic Card, Samsung T220 Monitor; Lenovo G550 T6600, 4 GB DDR3 - 15,6".
Esmeralda,
The Internet is today one of the best forms of knowledge, an example of what comes to mean the true expression of the word democracy in the modern world.

We can check in several sites, people willing to help others, providing tips, advice, tutorials and files for it simply happy to share experiences and pass on knowledge, without any financial interest, come from a wild capitalism that does not can snap the unlimited boundaries of this vast virtual world called Internet.

With so many available servers, rapidshare, EasyShare, Megaupload and myriad similar, a statement that people are not prepared to pay for maintaining a file server seems weird.

If the main idea is to charge for transmitting knowledge, which is a lot going on-line, which is registered interested and foremost there is transparency and clarity in expressing affairs.

Fortunately, there are still people who bring noble ideals over financial interests, which are expressed with honesty and aims to provide help, not measuring time or effort to qualify the next.

That ideas of democracy of the human race prevail against the wild capitalism of a few.

Post subject:
PostPosted: February 16th, 2009, 7:16 am 

Opus: Opus Pro Latest version 9.02 Build 16458
System: Asus laptop Intel Core i5 8 gig ram, big monitor, reading glasses
NilsonBrasil wrote:
Esmeralda,
The Internet is today one of the best forms of knowledge, an example of what comes to mean the true expression of the word democracy in the modern world.

We can check in several sites, people willing to help others, providing tips, advice, tutorials and files for it simply happy to share experiences and pass on knowledge, without any financial interest, come from a wild capitalism that does not can snap the unlimited boundaries of this vast virtual world called Internet.

With so many available servers, rapidshare, EasyShare, Megaupload and myriad similar, a statement that people are not prepared to pay for maintaining a file server seems weird.

If the main idea is to charge for transmitting knowledge, which is a lot going on-line, which is registered interested and foremost there is transparency and clarity in expressing affairs.

Fortunately, there are still people who bring noble ideals over financial interests, which are expressed with honesty and aims to provide help, not measuring time or effort to qualify the next.

That ideas of democracy of the human race prevail against the wild capitalism of a few.

Note: Esmeralda / Sentosa is one and the same

He had been until recent times, a very helpful and active member of this forum. His time and knowledge have been given freely and in quantity and he has assisted many Opus users with problem solutions and problem solution suggestions.

His Opus knowledge is largely self taught as is the Opus knowledge of most of us. We have put in the time and effort to create publications and solve our problems, sometimes with a little help from fellow forum members.

I see you joined on December 25, 2008. So new and so willing to denigrate someone who merely asked for a small sum to defray expenses.

Given your vast contribution and assistance to forum members to date and your keen willingness to complain about being asked to pay a small sum to get something from someone has spent thousands of hours learning and hundreds of hours making a tutorial publication, your post on this matter is very below the belt.

Your sanctimonious, self serving comments are something else again.

If you were seriously wanting to learn Opus, you'd gladly pay for knowledge. You wanting knowledge for free and then complaining when it is not free suggests that you are willing to put the time into complaining but not the time into earning to buy.

When you next need assistance, I will remember your unkind comments to Sentosa before deciding whether or not to assist you

Graham Baglin

For this message Graham Baglin has been thanked by : mackavi

Post subject:
PostPosted: February 16th, 2009, 4:36 pm 

Grahan,

There are several ways to transmit knowledge and ideas. Some forms are free and others are bought by people interested. Come hence the existence of books, handouts and online courses. Good part of what I learned by myself, reading, and I worked hard. I know that it represents an investment of time and in some cases, money itself.

But has also received valuable assistance in my work, thanks to people who were willing to give strength. The biggest problem in learning Opus currently is the lack of books dedicated of online tutorials and exercises further, especially regarding the programming in opus script.

What I do not understand the message of the Emerald because this material was not available so gradual, part paid and part free, as are a lot of courses online.

I know I am new user on the forum and by far could not make the same contribution of older users who are in this forum since the beginning.

This forum also is the only way for users to exchange information and clarify their doubts about a program as efficient and at the same time, so little known and disclosed.

I apologize here to Sentosa and the same time, my suggestion for an online course for us, novice users in search of knowledge.

Post subject:
PostPosted: February 17th, 2009, 6:13 pm 

NilsonBrasil wrote:

I would not characterize a $5 download as "wild capitalism." More like requesting a nominal fee to offset a large investment of time and a clearly measurable investment of money (storage fees). Plus, the knowledge provided via hard-earned experience is worth something in itself.

Sharing ideas in a forum is a wonderful community service; demanding free access to others' ideas is inappropriate. Remember that in the late 1990s the rallying cry of "information wants to be free!" led to a widespread culture that approved the theft of graphics, music, written works, and eventually even movies.

For this message R. Gengerke has been thanked by : mackavi

Post subject:
PostPosted: February 18th, 2009, 8:45 am 

Opus: Opus Pro Latest version 9.02 Build 16458
System: Asus laptop Intel Core i5 8 gig ram, big monitor, reading glasses
Hi Nilson

Thank you for your reply and apology. I can't speak for Sentosa though.

Unfortunately, authorship these days is only worthwhile if there is a large market for the written product or if there are people who are willing to pay a high price.

As one who has written six different travel and tourism texts for Australian travel and tourism students over the years, I can assure you that the financial rewards do not adequately compensate for the expertise and loss of time that one needs to input for a professional publication.

Additionally, one feels absolute despair when one sees, as I did, complete texts copied and for sale in non capitalist countries. Where this occurs, the copier, the printer and the seller all make their profits but the creator gets nothing for his or her time and effort.

Good luck with your Opus learning curve - It will be steep but if you enjoy what you do, satisfying also

Graham Baglin

For this message Graham Baglin has been thanked by : mackavi