Ronnie Dackus

YES : see post LMC.....

For this message Ronnie Dackus has been thanked by : mackavi

Profile Visit website  

Post subject: Re: Windows 8
PostPosted: February 18th, 2012, 2:59 pm 

Opus: Pro 9.75
System: MacBook Pro (Intel 2020)
Tested on earlier edition, no issues found.

Microsoft are releasing another beta later this month (Feb) which will be interesting. The Windows App Store is also something I would be very interested in.

For this message lmc has been thanked by : mackavi

PostPosted: February 20th, 2012, 5:23 pm 
Godlike
Godlike

Opus: Opus Pro 9.75
System: Core i7, 16G RAM, Nvidia 640GT (desktop), plus Windows 10 and Android tablets
Hi,

Haven't yet tried the Win 8 developer preview, but may be more tempted to try the Beta ("Community Preview") reportedly coming out on February 26th-February 29th.

For me, a critical issue will be whether the Plexus PlugIn will work on Windows 8? From what I can read online, there are at least two Windows 8 variations-Metro and full versions. I think only the full version will allow for PlugIn's (Metro not using PlugIn's to keep it "slimmed down," battery-conserving, etc.)

Am hoping that the Plexus PlugIn will function on full Windows 8 for tablets, so that Opus Pro web pubs using the PlugIn can be deployed on to the new Windows 8 tablets due for release beginning Q3 2012.

Has anyone successfully run a Opus Pro web pub using the Plexus PlugIn on the Win 8 developer preview?

Regards,

For this message Stephen has been thanked by : mackavi

PostPosted: February 21st, 2012, 10:16 am 
Godlike
Godlike

Opus: Evolution
Yes, Plexus currently works on Windows 8 Development Preview using Desktop IE mode. It won't work for Metro IE - no plugins are allow!

Mack

Interactive Solutions for Business & Education
Learn Anywhere. Learn Anytime.

www.interaktiv.co.uk
+44 (0) 1395 548057

Profile Visit website  

PostPosted: February 21st, 2012, 1:06 pm 
Godlike
Godlike

System: Core i7, 16G RAM, Nvidia 640GT (desktop), plus Windows 10 and Android tablets
Thanks, Mack.

PostPosted: February 29th, 2012, 4:27 pm 

Windows 8 Consumer Preview is out today, just downloading now. Will report any findings with Opus Publications here.

PostPosted: March 5th, 2012, 10:11 pm 

Opus: creator 9.01
System: Intel 6400@2x2.13 /Asus X1950
Have downloaded the consumer preview of windows 8, installed opus creator 7.06 and everything works fine. The development program and a published exe file works ok, no problem sofar.

However I could not make a app to be used by a exe file.

FriLigt

For this message FriLigt2 has been thanked by : mackavi

PostPosted: June 8th, 2012, 11:54 am 

I have been using Windows 8 on and off for a few months now. Also updated to the new release preview earlier this month. I haven't yet tested the Opus editor in Windows 8, but every Opus published file I have from the past two years works fine.

On a side note, using Windows 8 with a standard laptop (non touch screen, basic touchpad, using mouse), well, it isn't a great experience. On new laptops and tablets it should be "ok", but on a desktop with a mouse, the interface just isn't intuitive, I would go as far to say it is confusing. Even trying to figure out how to turn the laptop off took a lot of trial and error (move mouse to right corners of screen), power options aren't available from metro. And using Metro IE, isn't nice, I still don't know how to browse tabs without using Ctrl-Tab.

Honestly I see this as another Vista, I just feel that users will prefer the designed from the ground-up tablets of iOS and Android to Windows 8. We will have to wait and see, but I'm looking towards HTML5 and iOS as the future of computing and focusing my development in that area. But every new computer shipped from Autumn will have Windows 8, so adoption is guaranteed.

PostPosted: July 20th, 2012, 1:32 pm 
Godlike
Godlike

Hi,

Windows 8 RTM is due for release in August (to OEM and developers with MSDN subscriptions) with public release October 26, 2012. As challenging as the new touch-based interface/navigation may be on laptops and desktops (I haven't tried it, but read several discouraging reviews), it's here to stay (and hopefully will improve over time).

I'm wondering if it would be helpful in developing Opus Pro apps, if a few touch-based triggers, navigation actions like swiping were added in a service release? Even if only a few key ones initially, these could be supplemented over time. I suspect that app end-users will be asking about these features after public release.

Of course, an additional Opus Pro publishing option, publish to Win 8 Metro, would be very nice.

Just a thought to keep Opus as current as possible...