Digital Workshop

Welcome to the Digital Workshop Message Boards
It is currently May 16th, 2024, 3:16 pm

All times are UTC [ DST ]

Post subject: Pro v Creator
PostPosted: April 29th, 2012, 8:26 am 

Hi all, I've been using Pro 6.x for a number of years. I'm getting interested in digital signage. Does Creator offer anything that Pro doesn't have? I see also that it offers output to Android, is this in the guise of a Plexus plugin?

I'm going to download the trial today, but wanted to know others thoughts, maybe I should spend the money on an upgrade to Pro 7.x instead. It worries me a little that not much space is given up to Creator on the boards and that the last post was November last year, I put this down to there being a large overlap in the two products.

Any feedback, as usual would be most appreciated...

Kind regards, Kurt.

PS My sig refers to 7.04 at work, at home I use 6.4.

Athlon II X2 1.6GHz
ATI RAdeon HD 3200

For this message 3buns has been thanked by : mackavi

Post subject: Re: Pro v Creator
PostPosted: April 29th, 2012, 11:54 am 

Opus: v 7.04
using different versions at work and at home... don't know if it's relevant or not but when I asked if it was ok to use my work Opus at home DW (Paul Harris I think?) said it was fine- they sold their software to individuals, not PCs. That was a great help for me in terms of learning to use the product. At work it has a commercial value, but at home it was useful for learning and experimenting...

For this message mac has been thanked by : mackavi

PostPosted: April 29th, 2012, 1:21 pm 

Hi mac, thanks - it's strictly above board, both are licensed individually, I paid for mine at home years ago, and then persuaded the school to buy it when I moved jobs. (Hence the different versions.)

Cheers, Kurt

Athlon II X2 1.6GHz
ATI RAdeon HD 3200

PostPosted: April 30th, 2012, 12:11 pm 
Godlike
Godlike

Opus: Evolution
Creator is designed for educational use and doesn't have SCORM or the security functions required for distribution publications. I believe the purchase of creator doesn't permit selling your publications anyway.

As for Android, there doesn't seem to be any specific output functionality, so I'd assume that it's the Flash output. There is supposed to be an Android player somewhere, but I've never found it :-)

Flash will currently play on Android using the default browser and with 3rd party players - both of which work really well. The former method will be obsolete though with Android 5.0 as Google's Chrome is set to become the default browser and they are not supporting mobile flash and neither are Adobe.

Mack

Interactive Solutions for Business & Education
Learn Anywhere. Learn Anytime.

www.interaktiv.co.uk
+44 (0) 1395 548057

Profile Visit website  

PostPosted: May 1st, 2012, 9:50 am 

Opus: v7.04
System: Dell Inspiron 560 Quad Core 2.5Ghz 4Gb RAM, 1Tb HD, HP laptop and various others
mackavi wrote:
Creator is designed for educational use and doesn't have SCORM or the security functions required for distribution publications. I believe the purchase of creator doesn't permit selling your publications anyway.

As for Android, there doesn't seem to be any specific output functionality, so I'd assume that it's the Flash output. There is supposed to be an Android player somewhere, but I've never found it :-)

Flash will currently play on Android using the default browser and with 3rd party players - both of which work really well. The former method will be obsolete though with Android 5.0 as Google's Chrome is set to become the default browser and they are not supporting mobile flash and neither are Adobe.

Mack

Creator does allow commercial distribution.

As you suggest Android is covered by Flash and our flash player Flashpiper - details of which are here: http://www.digitalworkshop.com/products ... iper.shtml

To actually use Flashpiper you need to install the app on your phone. It is not an extension for Opus.

Paul

For this message Paul Harris has been thanked by : mackavi

Profile Visit website  

PostPosted: May 1st, 2012, 10:23 am 

Hi all, thanks for those comments, but does Creator offer anything more than Pro, or should I just upgrade to Pro v7?

Kind regards, Kurt

Athlon II X2 1.6GHz
ATI RAdeon HD 3200

PostPosted: May 2nd, 2012, 8:35 am 
Godlike
Godlike

Opus: Evolution
Apologies Paul, always been under the impression that Pro was the only part of the suite that could be used commercially. Also thanks for the Flash Piper link, couldn't find this on the site last time I looked. It installed okay, but I cannot play your test files (or anything I publish) on an Ice-cream Tablet. Is the app going to be on the Play Store eventually? And the FP, web-page doesn't render correctly on the default Android browser.

@Kurt. Creator seems excellent value for money if an initial purchase, but if you need / want to build anything with scripting or if you're creating for learning platforms - then you'll likely need SCORM and as such the upgrade to Pro will be better long term.

Mack

Interactive Solutions for Business & Education
Learn Anywhere. Learn Anytime.

www.interaktiv.co.uk
+44 (0) 1395 548057

Profile Visit website  

PostPosted: May 2nd, 2012, 11:07 am 

Hi all, thanks for all the replies. I think then I will upgrade my home Opus Pro from 6.x to 7.x, I can retain the flexibililty for scripting as Mackavi states, I can have some updateable data that way.

Kind regards, Kurt

Athlon II X2 1.6GHz
ATI RAdeon HD 3200