Welcome to the Digital Workshop Message Boards
It is currently May 16th, 2024, 5:38 pm

All times are UTC [ DST ]

Post subject: Developing for Windows 8 Touchscreens
PostPosted: March 13th, 2013, 6:05 pm 
Godlike
Godlike

Opus: Opus Pro 9.75
System: Core i7, 16G RAM, Nvidia 640GT (desktop), plus Windows 10 and Android tablets
Hi,

With the release of Windows 8 with multitouch screen capability, I began to wonder how to develop and test in this environment. Looking at tablets, while they seem excellent test platforms, enjoying use of a large screen Win 7 desktop, I couldn't see how to also use a tablet for development, instead of a desktop. Even tried a new Surface Pro 128GB: it ran quite warm and battery life was limited, so returned it. At that time, doing online research, came across what proved to be a solid alternative: the all-in-one PC. These are full Windows 8 desktops with everything in the tower now inside the thicker screen. The screen is full multitouch. Checking a number of these new models, reviews, consumer sites, finally settled on a top-flight one by Dell, the XPS One 2710 (http://www.dell.com/us/p/xps-one-27-2710-aio-t/pd?ref=2132title). Comes in a variety of configurations and prices, all with 27" 2560X1440 multitouch screen fully able to take advatage of Win 8. My version has a Win 8 Pro, core i7 third gen blazing fast processor, dedicated Nvidia graphics, a 32 GB SSD cache, and more. Great machine, top-rated, works well. Dell provides superb support.

In my opinion, all-in-ones are a great Win 8 development environment. Large enough to work comfortably. Multitouch screen allows for testing.

Just wanted to share this, open up the conversation.

Regards,

For this message Stephen has been thanked by : mackavi

Post subject: Re: Developing for Windows 8 Touchscreens
PostPosted: March 13th, 2013, 8:30 pm 
Godlike
Godlike

Opus: OpusPro v9.0x, & Evol.
System: Core 2 duo 2Ghz, RAM 3GB, Nvidia Go 7700 - laptop
stephen wrote:
Just wanted to share this, open up the conversation.
Glad you posted. I recently bought a new desktop tower, and had not considered the All-for-one and One-for-all. :( But now that you have highlighted it, it seems like a good idea and a grand solution -- warming to the Touch.

I looked at the link, but could not determine which Intel chipset they used for that XPS One. Any idea? (eg, H75, Z77,...) [Edit: corrected = 'Z77']

For me, that Dell one is beyond the budget I set. But I should be able to add a touch monitor in the future (the 'future' where the sweetspot goes well below the current US$600-700 for the hi res & widescreen aspect.). On my system, I set some money aside for a NAS, and also an extra HD/removable-bay. Also getting a Retail Win7 OS license (for the virtual set up) is costing extra $$$.

Look forward to hear more about your dev system as you get into it. Cheers!

For this message Lar_123 has been thanked by : mackavi

Last edited by Lar_123 on March 13th, 2013, 9:49 pm, edited 1 time in total.

PostPosted: March 13th, 2013, 9:02 pm 
Godlike
Godlike

System: Core i7, 16G RAM, Nvidia 640GT (desktop), plus Windows 10 and Android tablets
Hi Larry,

I also considered a tower system and monitor: an equally fine option. I wanted a very big multitouch monitor, like this 27" screen, with high resolution, which is currently harder to find as a separate item, but part of this all-in-one.

I'm not yet sure about the 3rd generation Intel i7-3770s chip set (it's specs are 3.10 up to 3.90, I guess with the turbo boost). In fact, I've been trying to figure this out from the device manager so I can get the correct updates. (The Dell hardware online auto-reader seems to get my OS wrong, so I will need to do this manually.)

Best Wishes,

PostPosted: March 13th, 2013, 11:30 pm 
Godlike
Godlike

Opus: OpusPro v9.0x, & Evol.
System: Core 2 duo 2Ghz, RAM 3GB, Nvidia Go 7700 - laptop
I started paying attention to the chipset when I learned of some dependencies/prerequisites for Win 8 Hyper-V.... re: SLAT, VT-d, or some such features.

A good, but early, overview of the Chipsets.
http://www.techspot.com/guides/502-inte ... page3.html (this is Page 3)
http://www.techspot.com/guides/519-inte ... page2.html (related, updated)
Neither of these tables tell the complete story, and I found I had to look closer at the chipset AND motherboard as-built.

stephen wrote:
(The Dell hardware online auto-reader seems to get my OS wrong, so I will need to do this manually.)
Try:
from: http://social.technet.microsoft.com/wik ... hosts.aspx
Quote:
msc
22 Jun 2012 2:35 PM
Here's another way to check:
Download Intel Processor ID Utility (a msi file), install and run it. Click on the tab "CPU Technologies", and look under the section "Other Intel Technologies Suppported". If you see "Intel VT-x with Extended Page Tables" with a "Yes", then the system supports SLAT.
Or, ...maybe this one: http://technet.microsoft.com/en-us/sysi ... s/cc835722

Other information >>>
link: http://www.overclock.net/t/1338063/vt-d ... therboards
Dec 2012 discussion -- current support for VT-d

and... for the truly nerdy: http://forums.mydigitallife.info/thread ... ualization
Quote:
The problem come with theses new mobos. It's very hard and time consuming to get accurate information regarding this specific capability called VT-d.

For this message Lar_123 has been thanked by : mackavi

PostPosted: March 14th, 2013, 12:21 am 
Godlike
Godlike

Thanks, Larry.

Kind Regards,