It is currently May 16th, 2024, 5:31 pm

All times are UTC [ DST ]

Post subject: Anybody using the new (2013) Comodo firewall/sandbox
PostPosted: April 15th, 2013, 10:05 pm 
Godlike
Godlike

Opus: OpusPro v9.0x, & Evol.
System: Core 2 duo 2Ghz, RAM 3GB, Nvidia Go 7700 - laptop
I am in the process of deciding what I want to do in setting up a new development system (desktop). I plan on using ESET AV and Comodo Firewall for non-virtualized boot disks. (I assume I will use VMware and/or Hyper-V at some point).

I have not used Comodo before now -- and find that somewhere in recent time they have added a sandbox capability. So I thought I would just pass that along with the links below:
http://www.wilderssecurity.com/showthread.php?t=343314 this link (forum) mentions Comodo, and points to the next
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=dN3SAF_K98Q&hd=1 link here is for a youtube how-to for installing and running a program in the comodo sandbox -- "...using a little trick" by setting up a All-users Program Folder shortcut.

Would be happy to hear if you have any hands-on with the Comodo F/W and particularly the sandbox? Any recommendations for choosing/using a different sandbox? TIA

ETA: In the same forums I see frequent mention of Sandboxie & Shadow Defender for similar needs (sandbox for testing behavior of unknown programs, and other testing...)

For this message Lar_123 has been thanked by : mackavi

Post subject: Re: Anybody using the new (2013) Comodo firewall/sandbox
PostPosted: April 16th, 2013, 6:52 am 
Godlike
Godlike

Upon further discovery, there seems to be some skepticism of Comodo's sandbox handling:

http://www.wilderssecurity.com/showthread.php?t=332356 "Lack of configurability options is the Comodo [sandbox] versions real problem IMO."

PostPosted: April 16th, 2013, 9:44 am 
Godlike
Godlike

Opus: Evolution
Yes, I use CIS Premium and have done since I switched to W7 several years ago. But I have the sandbox functionality turned off. Primarily because a sandbox is designed to prevent normal access to the computer system and most the time I'm building and testing and thus want things operating under 'normal' conditions. Secondly, I don't have many unknown applications running on the system and new software either comes from trusted sources and or I use a third party sandbox or a virtual machine. Thirdly, applications that might benefit from a sandbox such as the web-browser have a range of more practical options such as no-script, ad-block, WOT and site filtering that help actively keep you safe on-line. Lastly, my systems are imaged - so in about 30mins, I can wipe and re-install the entire disk and be up and running again - which is useful against more likely problems than just the things that might be in a sandbox.

CIS, however, is generally a decent security product that does what I need it do and has caused me very few problems over the years - although I did spend some time configuring it to suit my needs at the beginning.

As for virtualization, Oracle's VirtualBox is always worth considering depending on what you're trying to do.

Mack

Interactive Solutions for Business & Education
Learn Anywhere. Learn Anytime.

www.interaktiv.co.uk
+44 (0) 1395 548057

Profile Visit website  

PostPosted: April 17th, 2013, 8:29 pm 
Godlike
Godlike

[///] is deleted
mackavi wrote:
Yes, I use CIS Premium [///] But I have the sandbox functionality turned off.
Secondly, I don't have many unknown applications running on the system and new software either comes from trusted sources [///]
Thirdly, applications that might benefit from a sandbox such as the web-browser have a range of more practical options such as no-script, ad-block, WOT and site filtering
Lastly, my systems are imaged - so in about 30mins, I can wipe and re-install the entire disk [///]

As for virtualization, Oracle's VirtualBox is always worth considering depending on what you're trying to do.
Thanks Mack.
For my general browsing, personal/prof mail, banking -- I will use a separate laptop. Basic AV and F/W should do. I do use WOT, etc on FF browser -- however as much as I try to run with JS turned off, eBay and other sites have woven it into their clicks/navigation :cry:

I'll look into VirtualBox to see if any benefit over Win8 Hyper-V. I am going to need a few development tools, and once I select them, I can do as you do and keep various stages of system image. For evaluating some FOSS CMS and Authoring suites, I will do in a Virtual setting. Once I get to using and tough testing, I will likely maintain and run the suite/front-end-tools in a VHD (If I've got that correct). I'll have a dedicated laptop to serve at host/server.

I'll be working for a while to produce limited-scope pubs/apps. Eventually (when I get to publishing multi-platform apps and subscriptions, remote connections) things will get more complicated I'm afraid. Will need help to expand to that next stage.

Cheers.

PostPosted: April 18th, 2013, 8:28 am 
Godlike
Godlike

Opus: Evolution
Hyper-V does look very interesting though...especially if the disks were running from a Synology box.

No-Script is normally a love / hate add-on. People either swear by it or swear at it :-). But you can white-list your everyday sites.

Mack

Interactive Solutions for Business & Education
Learn Anywhere. Learn Anytime.

www.interaktiv.co.uk
+44 (0) 1395 548057

Profile Visit website