All times are UTC [ DST ]

Post subject: Useful? Android debugging & Chrome Screencast capabilities
PostPosted: March 20th, 2015, 4:13 am 
Godlike
Godlike

Opus: OpusPro v9.0x, & Evol.
System: Core 2 duo 2Ghz, RAM 3GB, Nvidia Go 7700 - laptop
Hello All,
after a long hiatus I am putting some attention again to Opus +Android.... much to learn.

I came across a couple topics, or rather developer methods, that some others might find useful. Curious to know if you do find use. From the developer.chrome website. Includes photos of screens (Android + PC) in-use. https://developer.chrome.com/devtools/d ... -debugging

These come under the Section on "Remote Debugging on Android with Chrome", and as such may be pretty basic stuff.
1. Debugging remote browser tabs
-- A new instance of Chrome DevTools launches on your computer. From this instance, you can interact with the selected browser tab on your device in real time.

2. Debugging WebViews (this applies to native Android applications)
-- The chrome://inspect page displays a list of debug-enabled WebViews on your device. To start debugging, click inspect below the WebView you want to debug. Use DevTools as you would for a remote browser tab.

3. Live screencasting (perhaps this could be useful more in the area of deployed apps, classroom, or even remote interaction ?)
-- Screencast displays your device's screen right alongside DevTools on your development machine. You can interact with the content on your device from the screencast too.
As of KitKat 4.4.3, screencast is available for both browser tabs and Android WebViews.

-- Interact with your device using the screencast
When you interact with the screencast, clicks are translated into taps, firing proper touch events on the device. Keystrokes from your computer are sent to the device, so you can avoid typing with your thumbs.

- - - - - - - - - - -
I came across this after I discovered certain browser config settings I did not understand (in Firefox). Namely, browser.tabs.remote.desktopbehavior was set to true by default. That did not seem right or safe at first glance so I took up the search.

I guess screencasting is actually quite common for pushing videos etc from a smartphone to a flatscreen TV. It's just that here there seems to be the interaction capability.

Cheers,
Larry

For this message Lar_123 has been thanked by : mackavi