Digital Workshop

Welcome to the Digital Workshop Message Boards
It is currently October 3rd, 2024, 10:34 pm

All times are UTC [ DST ]

Post subject: LOGIN
PostPosted: October 10th, 2005, 8:07 am 

Hi,
I am trying to produce a login page for a pub to be used in a school.
The first page contains the registration capabilities, my problem is that I want the person only to register once and the next time she/he comeback instead of the registration page, the login page appears.
Therefore, I need this application to register one person and then locks up the application so nobody else can register and use it but the person who registered first.
The teacher wants it this way, 15 students, 15 applications, but she does not want other students getting into other student's pubs and being able to register and then enter to see what the other has done.
Please, can you help me. I have used the "Log in page sample" in Opus to try to model it to what I want but without success.
This "Log in page sample" in Opus will let any number of people to login via registration page but in my case I only need the student to register only one time so next time only the login page appears so no other student can register and check out the pub.
Thank you for your help. I am totally ignorant on variables and I have tried believe me but I seem to be unable to understand how this thing works.
Cybernaut

Post subject:
PostPosted: October 10th, 2005, 12:04 pm 

Opus: version 8.0
System: Intel Corei7-2600 CPU 3.400GHz
It is not so hard to accomplish use the action Storage to write each System User Name and Register name to a txt file in the temp directory (or any directory)
When a user start the publication let a action Read this .txt file and compare name(s) with System Username...

BR

Jim

Post subject:
PostPosted: October 11th, 2005, 7:02 am 

Quote:
<< This "Log in page sample" in Opus will let any number of people to login via registration page but in my case I only need the student to register only one time so next time only the login page appears" >>

Hi Cybernaut,

Is each student using a different pc (so each have their own different TEMP directory)? If so, then you could make the "Log in page sample" write an additional text file to disk on the registration page. On the Log-on page, you would create an on-show trigger to load that text file into a variable... if the file contents exists, then have it hide the registration button.

This is a very simple and crude way, but otherwise it may be a challenge since you state that you are not experienced in variables.

Hope this helps.

Post subject:
PostPosted: October 11th, 2005, 10:33 am 

Hi Cybernaut,
I just produced a pub with login page similar to what you want but I have problem in attaching the imp file with this post.
Pls, let me know if you do have another means that I can get it down to you.

Profile Visit website  

Post subject: First logon
PostPosted: October 11th, 2005, 6:03 pm 

In reply to Steve H above; isn't it likely that student will not use the same computer every time. If that is the case then the solution could not be machine based but would need to a file held on the network drive that the students have read/write access to.

Knowing students who invariably login with different names there may be some mileage in using <SYSTEM_USERNAME> variable to get their system name from which you could get their real name.

A simple .csv file held on the server that is written to with their <SYSTEM_USERNAME> and actual name at first logon and which is read prior to subseqent logons to check to see if their logon is in the .csv file should do what you want.

Clive Cartmel

Post subject:
PostPosted: October 12th, 2005, 2:06 am 

Hi Clive,

Yes I agree with you. That is why I asked the question ;) as I only mentioned the \TEMP directory, as Cybernaut explained he was looking at the Login sample pub from DW which uses the temp directory.

Since Cybernaut has also stated he is not experienced with variables, I was hoping for his sake maybe DW's "login pub sample" would have sufficed, since all the coding is basically done for him. -- But we are yet to hear from Cybernaut with further details and specifics.

Post subject: than you for your help
PostPosted: October 12th, 2005, 5:18 am 

Dear all
Thank you for your interest in helping me.
There are 50 students in the same classroom each one with his/her own computer in a network situation.
The pub should be able to do the following:
1-When first used: Show a registration screen advising them to input their name and the password they want to use.
2-Next time they login, the pub should be able to recognize that this person has already registered in the system and therefore present them with the login screen instead of the registration screen; otherwise, another student can use the same name of one of their peers and choose a new password and get in to check what the other is doing. I hope this is clear.
SIncerely
Cybernaut

Post subject: Re: than you for your help
PostPosted: October 12th, 2005, 7:34 am 

Opus: 8.5/9.0
OS: Windows 7 64-bits, Android 2.1, Android 4.1.2, iOS 7
System: Pentium 7i, 6GB RAM, 750GB HD, DVD-RW (+/-), DV, 3TB EHD, 3D monitor without glasses
Hello Cybernaut,

I'll give it a try.
Look at the publication I attached.
This example works on stand alone computers and within a network.

The login screen asks the first time for a name, password and password check.

The name and password will be stored in the my documents directory in the subdirectory "Publication".
The filenames are user.txt and password.txt
Both are encrypted.
When you start the publication again after a correct registration you have to type the password.
The text file left shows the username, password and passwordcheck.

This should work.

Kind regards,

You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.

OPUS Pro 9.5
Pentium 7i, 16GB RAM, 1 TB HD, DVD-RW (+/-), DV, 3TB EHD, 3D monitor without glasses

Profile Visit website  

Post subject: thanks
PostPosted: October 15th, 2005, 1:25 pm 

Oscar,
thank you. I'll give it a go and I let you know.
Cybernaut

Post subject: Big thanks!
PostPosted: October 17th, 2005, 11:33 pm 

Oscar
Thank you very much. I have tested and it works like a charm!
I have done some minor modifications for what I need but again, thank you very much!
Cybernaut