Welcome to the Digital Workshop Message Boards
It is currently October 7th, 2024, 9:17 am

All times are UTC [ DST ]

Post subject: Close and Delete Files: XE 5.14
PostPosted: December 20th, 2005, 2:29 pm 
Godlike
Godlike

Opus: Opus Pro 9.75
System: Core i7, 16G RAM, Nvidia 640GT (desktop), plus Windows 10 and Android tablets
Hi

A project that I'm working on has a number of .txt files used to store information. These are created in the pub either by standard Opus write to/read from disk file actions or separately opened using scripting for example, textObj=OpenFile(.....).

I followed a variety of suggestions to close and then delete these, but, in spite of scripting every last textObj.Close() plus adding every last standard close and delete file action for every file written to or read from, I'm still getting error messages (reference to missing object) plus subsequent script failure in preview. While there's no script editor to display error messages in runtime, I do get script failure in runtime, as well.

This pub allows the viewer to clone objects and drag and drop them. I'm beginning to wonder if the data for these clones (for example, pos x and pos y) which are in some of these .txt files that are closed and deleted, is creating some of the problem. It's these very objects that the script editor, following a close and delete of their .txt files, seems to be referencing as missing objects. And, it is these same cloneable objects that, once cloned a second time, dragged/dropped, following the script editor error message, aren't saved into or read from their .txt storage files.

The failure gives the impression that the open pub place-holds these .txt files and nothing short of exiting and re-booting the pub clears their influence. This work-a-round saves the day, but is less than optimal.

I would appreciate any help with this. I must be doing something wrong, since it should be possible to clear out these files and their error-generating effects. :?

Kind Regards,

Stephen

PS The wildcard function does not work in XE 5.14 to either close or delete files. It does, however, work for copying files. This led to setting a separate script/standard Opus action for every close and delete (a couple of hundred operations that possibly could be better served, time-wise, by having the wildcard functionality added to close and/or delete).

Post subject:
PostPosted: December 21st, 2005, 11:05 pm 

Hi Stephen,

I know you've had problems with this issue before, but is there some way of simply empyting the files instead (or overwriting them).

Do you need to really delete them?

I don't have problems deleting files, so it's probably the complexities in your pub... Maybe you could send a copy of your pub to DW to have a look at.

Good luck with it and Merry Christmas and God bless! :)

Post subject:
PostPosted: December 21st, 2005, 11:21 pm 
Godlike
Godlike

Opus: Opus Pro 9.75
System: Core i7, 16G RAM, Nvidia 640GT (desktop), plus Windows 10 and Android tablets
Hi Steve

Merry Christmas!

Thank your for your kind reply. I think I'm going to stay with the work-a-round.

After countless hours and alot of help from colleagues and DW, having tried everything from DOS batch deletes, to a delete utility created in another program employing wildcards, to a manual set-up of every last close file and delete file action for a couple of hundred scripts/files, all to no avail, I think I've exhausted all options. Can't get it to work without errors and script failure. However, the exit/re-boot work-a-round is OK.

My best guess, as a novice, is that this is an artifact unrelated to Opus, which I think the world of.

Again, thanks for you help. My appreciation to all those who have assisted me in exploring solutions. :)

Kind Regards,
Stephen