Digital Workshop

Welcome to the Digital Workshop Message Boards
It is currently October 11th, 2024, 10:51 pm

All times are UTC [ DST ]

Post subject: Microsoft Windows Shutdown
PostPosted: April 25th, 2006, 1:57 pm 

I have created a publication for use on a standalone kiosk with a touch sensitive screen for feedback.

As the mouse and keyboard are not present, I need a script that will shut down Windows, (in this instance Win 2000) when an appropriate hidden button is activated.

Can anyone suggest a solution?

Nick Charles

Profile Visit website  

Post subject: Suggestion
PostPosted: April 25th, 2006, 2:33 pm 

Opus: 7.05
System: P4 3.2GHz 1GB RAM 2-TB HDs + 4 more
Nick --

First, I'd have a mouse/keyboard connected to the computer which all three are locked/hidden from your audience. That's the safest way to prevent unauthorized activity.

If that's not possible, you are going to be limited to some type of tapping on an Object. I would pick a very small Image Object. To add more security, I'd have this Trigger have an Action of Show Frame Object. This Keypad Frame would be initially hidden. I'd have Buttons 0-9 + Enter within the Frame. You'd have to touch Buttons in the proper sequence to EXIT. After ten seconds the Frame would disappear.

How's that for a solution? Each Button click would add that number to a Variable which would be checked for accuracy when you touched the Enter Button.

I built a kiosk touch screen, but we locked away the mouse and keyboard, so we didn't need an EXIT scheme.

I'm not sure if you could use TWO Buttons at the same time as an alternative Trigger. Or, possibly touch one spot, then have an invisible Frame Show for 2 seconds at the opposite end of the screen, which you'd have to touch also to make the Keypad Frame appear.

Profile Visit website  

Post subject:
PostPosted: April 25th, 2006, 2:43 pm 

Thank you for the suggestion.

I was going to have a 'hot spot' in the bottom left hand corner of the 'Home' screen which when touched would take the user to a command screen, with a numeric keypad for exiting the program. This screen would only show for 6 secs, before reverting to the 'Home' screen.

Once the correct password has been entered, the idea is to have two buttons, one to shut down Opus and the other to shut down Windows. It is the shutting down of Windows, that I am having trouble with.

Nick

Profile Visit website  

Post subject:
PostPosted: April 25th, 2006, 3:22 pm 

I found this small VBS file that will force Windows to close.

All you need to do is have an action to launch this file.

Note when you test in make sure you have saved everything as it will close your machine with out asking to save anything.

Regards

Brenden Knifton

You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.

Profile Visit website  

Post subject:
PostPosted: April 25th, 2006, 3:34 pm 

Thank you,

That works perfectly and I agree, needs to be used with care!

Profile Visit website