All times are UTC [ DST ]

Post subject: SQLite DB - Part II Getting Started
PostPosted: May 20th, 2008, 3:18 am 
Godlike
Godlike

Opus: OpusPro v9.0x, & Evol.
System: Core 2 duo 2Ghz, RAM 3GB, Nvidia Go 7700 - laptop
Hurrah!

We have a FULL tank of gas. 'Gas' here refers to "Guest-authored script". Okay, enough funny business.

Here's the skinny. From Olaf Schmidt today:
Quote:
first of all (just looked into the OpusScript-Forum) - no problems with publishing the code - that was the intention - to give your community a good "headstart", how to work with the Dll-Interface of OpusScript in a "more challenging scenario". :-)

We've exchange a number of emails, and Olaf has been quite gracious and generous to clarify a number of questions I had along the way.
Quote:
Hope i covered all your questions for now - and yes, please publish the source of the wrapper-*.ils code, so that others can take a look too and get more familiar with the CallFn-interface in Opus.

So here is where we are:
I am posting the raw Scripts Olaf has sent me about a week ago. But first I am posting a Demo Opus publication that includes the scripts, to which I have added/modified some Script Objects to move the returned data into Opus objects... textbox, Listbox...

So I think this is a launching pad for whatever you choose to do... please do contribute back through the forum when you find useful applications for this combined solution, or when you encounter/resolve some hurdles along the way.

DW... please pick up on all this. It is a great opportunity to integrate this work much more tightly into Opus... AND provide 'hooks' and GUI over in Object>>>Triggers/Actions that could parallel DB actions that now use DSN connections.

If you already know and use arrays... Hurry! Check this SQLite thing out.

Magnitudes of THANKS! to Olaf Schmidt who has brought us this bridge into SQLite. Olaf was not even an Opus advocate, and yet has lent his time and expertise to this endeavor. DW... send that man a case of fine wine. Or something.

- - - - - - -
Attached:
An opus demo pub will all the necessary 'components' to ship an embedded SQLite DB with your own Opus production. Today. (well, tomorrow).

Best regards...

oops... I'm being advised of "reaching my Max upload quote 5MB"
(this attach is .6MB)

For this message Lar_123 has been thanked by : mackavi

Post subject:
PostPosted: May 20th, 2008, 3:22 am 
Godlike
Godlike

Trying again with Attachment zip. ...Fail.

Post subject:
PostPosted: May 20th, 2008, 6:07 am 
Godlike
Godlike

Opus: Evolution
Lar's SQLite publication,

www.interaktiv.co.uk/temp/sqlite3.zip

and some extras

www.interaktiv.co.uk/temp/extras.zip

Mack

Interactive Solutions for Business & Education
Learn Anywhere. Learn Anytime.

www.interaktiv.co.uk
+44 (0) 1395 548057

Profile Visit website  

Post subject:
PostPosted: May 20th, 2008, 6:25 am 
Godlike
Godlike

Thanks much, Mack

I guess it pays to have a 'premium' subscription here. 8) I'll 'attach' when I get one.

The 2nd Zip package is a Folder... somewhat redundant. (everything needed is essentially in the Demo package).

The 2nd Zip contains:
* Olaf Schmidt's two .ILS files (i.e., external script files) and are these are originals as he sent them.
* Three files that contain EXPORTED variables for the 2 'working' pages of the Demo Pub --- so you can easily identify dependencies and also import Page & PUB variables elsewhere...
* An RTF doc explaining some How-to's (same as Pg 5 of the Demo Pub)

BTW, if there is any 'problem' getting the Demo to read the DB properly... the first thing to check is the "Resource Path". From Pub.Properties, if it does not say "..whatever working directory path... \OpusSQLite\", do a 'Change' so that OpusSQLite is the folder for now, and not some myPubResource folder. ( you can work the path details out later... to your choosing )

Post subject:
PostPosted: May 20th, 2008, 8:15 am 

Hi Larry,
thanks for organizing this, and thanks for finding Olaf and guiding him through what was needed-- brilliant work from both of you.

Paul

For this message Paul has been thanked by : mackavi

Post subject:
PostPosted: May 20th, 2008, 8:40 am 
Godlike
Godlike

Paul,

Thanks for the 'vote'. You're welcome, and I do hope this is something that propels your projects. You seemed to indicate you were at a threshhold.

The most critical piece of the puzzle is truly what Olaf got done in short order ( not without effort and time, but surely timely and effective ).

- - - - - - - -
I have now done some further 'testing' on the Demo. Up to this point I only did Previewing.

Here is a bit of guidance when it comes to Publishing out of Opus.

1) Add the contents of the "OpusSQLite" folder to the Pub. I did this thru "Additional Resources" TAB in Publication Properties. I do not know if this is an unnecessary Step or not (when the following is done.).

2) At the time of Publishing, for example as Standalone Opus Publ., do look for the 'Option' presented as a Radio Button choice --- to "Create an Installer program" ( or similar wording ). Then ADD DIRECTORY after that. Now be sure to type-in the name of that important Folder... "OpusSQLite" in this case. ( the folder can be named anything, as long as you identify it and the path correctly in a couple scripts)

See Attached file... a screenshot of that Step above in the Publishing process. ( will edit this post to 'attach' -- failing now )

There are probably a few acceptable ways to depart from this, but this illustrates one way that works. ( for example, you could 'flatten' everything to be in the SYSTEM PUBLICATION DIRECTORY --- without a folder to contain DB, DLL, and resource files. )

Larry

Post subject:
PostPosted: May 21st, 2008, 4:51 am 
Godlike
Godlike

For those who have downloaded the Getting_Started... .IMP, here are a couple notes to make life a little easier. (Quoted for convenience)
Quote:
Page 4 (Search demo) errata (05/20/08 )
1. comment out Line 5 of ScriptUpdate //idTRACE = etc etc which was used for testing. It may be safely deleted I think. Elsewhere, I have "dbAction == 'passed'" or similar conditional... that too is non-essential.
2. Note: Search must be re-executed before record changes via UPDATE become visible. Perhaps a “refresh” button would help.
3. “New Name” and then “Save”… i.e., INSERT… as noted earlier does not work yet.

I expect we'll sort-out posting Attachments soon. DW has already upped the quota, but I am just thinking DW could post that Demo attach. If not, I will likely "unbundle" the sample NWind DB file... so it can be posted once and not reposted again and again when the .IMP is modified and posted.

If anyone's in a hurry, let me know. Otherwise I'll get to it shortly.

Post subject: Are you new to Databases, or new to SQLite?
PostPosted: May 21st, 2008, 9:12 am 
Godlike
Godlike

In case you have not worked with databases, or as in my case... not worked with them since ages ago, this will remove a couple 'mental hurdles'.

You will want some 'Tools' to work with a Database.
So prepare to spend... well, 'zero' Euros.

Here is a Firefox browser plug-in that is just clean and simple.
http://code.google.com/p/sqlite-manager/
https://addons.mozilla.org/en-US/firefox/addon/5817

It takes 2 minutes to 'add-on'.
It takes <1 minute to connect to your sqlite DB.

Screenshots below, and many more at above Links.

Uses:
-- get clear on Table names and column names... etc
-- explore the DB data directly... see what's there
-- ( I like this one ) create an SQL Statement from a drop-down menu, Fill in Table names and columns and conditions you want... 'Execute'... immediately see that it works and the results. ( or view the error msg hints and fix it right there ). Now Copy & Paste that SQL right over into OpusScript.

L

You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.

Post subject: Re: SQLite DB - Part II Getting Started
PostPosted: July 19th, 2010, 5:22 pm 

Opus: V7.04
System: Pentium QUAD 4GB RAM ATI HD 57XX
I would really like to get ahold of your sample pub that uses the SQLLite wrapper.

Mackivi's links no longer work and, if you have an updated demo that shows update and insert, that would be grand!

Thanks!

For this message FishBox has been thanked by : mackavi

PostPosted: July 20th, 2010, 3:34 am 
Godlike
Godlike

Fish,

Sure, can work something out. It is too big to post as an Attachment since there are some quota limits in the forum, so will host it someway. I am inclined to revise/update the old sample, since that was my first attempt and I have since arrived at understanding this a bit more.

Please add a Profile with your Opus version info and system info etc. (if I update with Opus v7.x and you are on something older, that would raise some obstacles.) Anyway, it is always a good idea to provide that background here.

What is your level of experience, and comfort level, with scripting?
What is your experience with SQL / SQLite?
What kind of uses or applications do you want to develop?

Cheers.

PostPosted: July 20th, 2010, 9:29 am 
Godlike
Godlike

Hi Lar / FishBox,

Anything in a temp folder or our sandbox gets cleaned every now and then and by the look of that address it was on on our old server anyway.

I've got permanent space set up for large Opus files for the forum / scribbles files now. How large are the files? Up to 30mb and I can give you a frontend account to simply upload them else if you use FTP I can do it that way.

details: http://www.live.interaktiv.co.uk/index. ... Itemid=166

Regards,

Mack

www.interaktiv.co.uk
+44 (0) 1395 548057

Profile Visit website  

PostPosted: July 20th, 2010, 10:13 am 
Godlike
Godlike

Hello Mack.
Looking back at what I had developed back then, the zipped folder would weigh in at 1 to 2 MB, give or take. Not huge by any means, but too large for the Forum attachment/quota constraints.

The Opus files/.IMP are ~200K. It's the SQLite .DLL and the NWind.DB sample database that take it up to 2MB. Still, I'd like to include them so folks do not have to hunt around for the pieces and so can get up and running quite quickly. I will probably make it two zips, one for Opus pubs and the 'wrapper scripts', and one for the general DB components.

I've got space on my server, I just have not set up anything for FTP and privileges. So if you can support this that would be great, at least in the short run. There has not been interest in this here, so removing from the servers periodically is okay.

I want to review the old demo and update it, edit previous notes and see if I can clean up the explanation there.

Cheers,
Larry

PostPosted: July 20th, 2010, 10:35 am 
Godlike
Godlike

Send me an email and I'll send a logging name / password:

http://www.live.interaktiv.co.uk/index. ... &Itemid=18

Regards,

Mack

www.interaktiv.co.uk
+44 (0) 1395 548057

Profile Visit website  

Post subject: Re:
PostPosted: July 23rd, 2010, 11:01 pm 

Opus: version 8.0
System: Intel Corei7-2600 CPU 3.400GHz
mackavi wrote:

Tried to download , but the page redirecting to website....any chance to upload the zip file here?

Thanks
Jim

For this message ivisionar has been thanked by : mackavi

PostPosted: July 24th, 2010, 10:12 pm 
Godlike
Godlike

Jim,

The original demo pub was a quick throw together. Good enough for folks who were experienced and just wanted to get past the technical hurdles.

I am updating the 'Getting Started...' Demo now. Making it more of a walk through, and a better explanation of how the pieces fit together. Like a lot of things, getting SQLite or any DB going may seem daunting at first. This Demo will remove most of the mystery and unknowns.

I'll get access to Mack's Interaktiv site and we'll post it there. Don't know a date yet, so check back in a week or so. (the Forum has a quota limit on attachments per user over time... so will host externally)

Can you give me some idea of your background, etc.? such as...
Quote:
What is your level of experience, and comfort level, with scripting?
What is your experience with SQL / SQLite?
What kind of uses or applications do you want to develop?

Particularly, what do you need to know, want to see... in a Demo/Starter-Pub?