It is currently May 18th, 2024, 8:35 am

All times are UTC [ DST ]

Post subject: Re: SQLite DB - Part II Getting Started
PostPosted: July 25th, 2010, 7:55 pm 

Opus: version 8.0
System: Intel Corei7-2600 CPU 3.400GHz
Lar_123 wrote:
Jim,

Can you give me some idea of your background, etc.? such as...
Quote:
What is your level of experience, and comfort level, with scripting?
What is your experience with SQL / SQLite?
What kind of uses or applications do you want to develop?

Particularly, what do you need to know, want to see... in a Demo/Starter-Pub?

Just curious how things works with different databases....I or we (as a compnay) working with Opus from the beginning when it was still Illuminatus (90's, thought 1994) We have some major opus-applications running in Europe (mostly in the branche "construction") wich are database runned on a network and standalone. Very comfortable with scripting......

For this message ivisionar has been thanked by : mackavi

PostPosted: August 9th, 2010, 4:44 pm 

Opus: V7.04
System: Pentium QUAD 4GB RAM ATI HD 57XX
Thanks Lar for the reply,

I'm pretty comfortable with scripting in Opus Script. I can make my way around code and adapt as needed. My experience with with SQL is that I've been apps/websites using MySQL, SQL Compact, and now SQLLite.

As far as application-wise, what I specifically want to use it for is a .NET C# winform app that will send information to the Opus window to trigger animation sequences and variable updates. Since I've seen no easy way to directly get data from the winform app into the Opus pub, I figured I'd write to an SQLite file and have the Opus pub monitor it for new triggers and variable updates.

I was actually able to copy and paste some script you had posted somewhere and got the Insert/Update to work but only in preliminary testing.

What I'm most interested in knowing is if you've used your script in a robust production environment where the Opus pub was hitting the SQLite DB at a defined frequency (maybe every .5 seconds) and whether the connections attempts are still successful after extended time periods. I had problems with InterNetPost data and a web-hosted MySQL db in the past with an Opus app.

However, if anyone knows a way for me to update variables in OPUS directly from a .NET app with a DLL or something, let me know! I'd be VERY interested in that!

Thank You,

Fish

Lar_123 wrote:
Fish,

Sure, can work something out. It is too big to post as an Attachment since there are some quota limits in the forum, so will host it someway. I am inclined to revise/update the old sample, since that was my first attempt and I have since arrived at understanding this a bit more.

Please add a Profile with your Opus version info and system info etc. (if I update with Opus v7.x and you are on something older, that would raise some obstacles.) Anyway, it is always a good idea to provide that background here.

What is your level of experience, and comfort level, with scripting?
What is your experience with SQL / SQLite?
What kind of uses or applications do you want to develop?

Cheers.

For this message FishBox has been thanked by : mackavi

PostPosted: August 9th, 2010, 8:15 pm 
Godlike
Godlike

Opus: OpusPro v9.0x, & Evol.
System: Core 2 duo 2Ghz, RAM 3GB, Nvidia Go 7700 - laptop
Fish,

I am part-way through updating the 'getting started' SQLite pub. Still some to go. I want to build-in some new stuff/queries, and have got to dig through some old testing. So stay tuned.

I am cleaning-up the scripts and variables, but core scripts are the same as earlier... and working on more clear explanation of configuration (for beginners getting into SQLite).
- - - - -
Good you have had some success connecting with old demo. As you can see, SQLite drops-in quite simply.
As for your ?
Quote:
What I'm most interested in knowing is if you've used your script in a robust production environment
I think Opus + SQLite will be quite fast and robust, reliable. Where you might encounter issues pulsing the SQLite DB is if you structure your Opus actions or animations/transitions in a way that makes them 'exclusive' (given priority to completing before other actions or scripts can proceed).
Quote:
...and whether the connections attempts are still successful after extended time periods.
For SQLite + Opus here, we are talking about everything being client system. I do not see nor anticipate any issue there.
Quote:
had problems with InterNetPost data
There have been a few prior Posts about the latency or that it is best if Opus waits an arbitrary time delay between transactions... for web/hosted DB data exchange.

Regarding your .NET and DLL interests... why not start a new Topic and ask that? See what surfaces. Other developers have also used AutoIt, AutoHotKey, etc.... even serial data streams.

Cheers.
.............SQLite "Getting Started" Demo -- coming to a theater near you, soon.

For this message Lar_123 has been thanked by : mackavi

PostPosted: August 9th, 2010, 10:57 pm 
Godlike
Godlike

Fish,

I forgot to mention that the starter scripts provided (in old Demo as well) have some Debug.trace code that will show the DB response time for the Query... in milliseconds. Use that to monitor your operations.

PostPosted: August 16th, 2010, 10:29 am 

Opus: V7.04
System: Pentium QUAD 4GB RAM ATI HD 57XX
Lar,

Did some preliminary testing with insert and update to/from SQL to/from C# app and OPus app. I'm very impressed with the speed of the updates (had .1 second updates consistently). I looped and looped and looped and no crash or significant hangs. Think I'll be using it for my project.

Eagerly looking forward to your demo pubs on SQLite!

Fish

For this message FishBox has been thanked by : mackavi

PostPosted: August 17th, 2010, 2:57 am 
Godlike
Godlike

Fish,

Good you are making headway.

I am working on the Demo update... but have run into a few issues.
- Mainly, I wanted to build some 'adapted scripts' that would be more robust and useful in addition to what was there already.
- I found a couple issues with column counting and row counting that I want to make foolproof (ie, show column names or not...)
- I also discovered that the Nwind.db sample database had some fields that were not consistent and caused me some trouble -- this is still an issue I have not resolved (makes one record look like two when certain fields have an extra Tab or Line Return)
- I wanted to prove that Rollback works. However, the way the current wrapper or the handler scripts are structured, I think the DB connection closes before multiple queries are run... so the "BEGIN"... "ROLLBACK" is not working it seems. Let me know if you have any hints on this == where to restructure.

Otherwise, I am making good progress to build a useful Demo of SQLite.
Cheers.
Larry

PostPosted: August 23rd, 2010, 7:25 pm 

Opus: Pro
Lar_123 wrote:
Jim,

I am updating the 'Getting Started...' Demo now. Making it more of a walk through, and a better explanation of how the pieces fit together. Like a lot of things, getting SQLite or any DB going may seem daunting at first. This Demo will remove most of the mystery and unknowns.

Particularly, what do you need to know, want to see... in a Demo/Starter-Pub?
[/quote]

Heck let me know when the Getting started DEMO is ready , as a failure to scripting i need all the help i can get ( smile )..

Al

For this message Al Barnes has been thanked by : mackavi

Profile Visit website  

PostPosted: September 15th, 2010, 9:47 pm 
Godlike
Godlike

Here's a bit of an 'update'. I'd made good progress on a revised Demo, up until a couple weeks ago. I have had some intervening family matters to attend to, and still do, so will expect to take up work again near the end of Sept.

I think the work is looking really good. I've decided to build it 'full of stuff', and I am mainly challenged to go back and clean up some spaghetti code. Plus adding some practical examples and a few surprises yet to be built. The SQLite Getting Started demo will be geared mostly to the intermediate Opus developer. Advanced developers will probably skip over explanation pages etc.

Cheers,
Larry

PostPosted: September 16th, 2010, 7:34 am 

Opus: version 7.03
System: HP
Hi Lar,

Thanks for the update, I'm very curious what you have been 'cooking'......

Jim

For this message JimO has been thanked by : mackavi

PostPosted: September 16th, 2010, 9:48 am 
Godlike
Godlike

Quote:
'cooking'......
Ha! :lol:

Here's the menu.

You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.

PostPosted: September 18th, 2010, 5:06 pm 

Opus: version 7.03
System: HP
Looks good , hopefully it taste also......
Thanks Lar

For this message JimO has been thanked by : mackavi

PostPosted: September 28th, 2010, 4:27 am 
Godlike
Godlike

Countdown... T minus.

PostPosted: September 28th, 2010, 10:08 am 
Godlike
Godlike

Okay. The Demo pub is complete and pretty-well tested.

I plan to gather all the relevant files and zips and get them uploaded to Interaktiv's website -- in another day's time if all goes well. (I want to step away from the beast and look at it one more time... before I commit it to the road.)

Start thinking about what you want to do with an expanded Opus playground.

PostPosted: September 29th, 2010, 3:34 pm 
Godlike
Godlike

Good news. The demo is ready.

What we have is an Opus-SQLite 'Getting Started' Demo that is updated and further extended from the first edition back when.

You will need OpusPro v7 to use it, since that is what I used to build it. ( Sometime later I will post the tweaked Starter Scripts that can work in at least Opus v6.4 )

Thanks to Mackavi, the Demo is hosted on interacktiv's website.
You will find it at http://www.interaktiv.co.uk
I leave it to Mack to let you know how to get the login/access
Currently I have only put up a single Zip for download --- "Opus_v7_SQLite_GS_Demo.zip"

>>>>> go to the Vault >>> then Opus Forum directory >>> LAR123 >>> find the Opus_SQLite_Demo_scripts folder

[Lar EDIT:] Sept 2015. Time passes and that old file location is no longer valid. I am uploading the ZIP File (with OpusPro .imp included) -- as it has been requested in another thread.

It is a bit more than a demo. You just open it in OpusPro v7 and Preview the pub. You are welcome to modify it and adapt it as indicated in the Pub.

I packed quite a lot of stuff in there. On the plus side, you get to see SQLite DB in operation in a variety of queries and actions. On the down side, there are pages where my scripting was built up, shredded, and rebuilt -- and I do not guarantee that it will make sense to you. What I can say is that from my perspective, it is working well and demonstrates SQLite + Opus in action.

Even if you are not interested in SQLite or Databases, I think you would enjoy Previewing the Pub and seeing what's there, what's possible. There are a number of actions or features in the pub that DO NOT use SQLite -- simply good old Opus stuff.

You will be able to use and adapt the basic SQL Query demos quite easily. I tried to keep those simple and direct. In that regard, the Pub represents a 'Starter Kit' of scripts that should take you a good distance to getting something built on your own.

Well, enough said. Enjoy.

Cheers
Larry

Last edited by Lar_123 on September 24th, 2015, 5:14 pm, edited 2 times in total.

PostPosted: September 29th, 2010, 3:56 pm 
Godlike
Godlike

Opus: Evolution
Hi Lar,

Congratulations on finishing the project. Access for Joe Public is the same as for our scribbles / forum files and can be found here:

http://www.live.interaktiv.co.uk/index. ... Itemid=166

Regards,

Mack

Interactive Solutions for Business & Education
Learn Anywhere. Learn Anytime.

www.interaktiv.co.uk
+44 (0) 1395 548057

Profile Visit website