Digital Workshop

Welcome to the Digital Workshop Message Boards
It is currently May 17th, 2024, 12:55 pm

All times are UTC [ DST ]

Post subject: Basic HTML5 Functions
PostPosted: July 16th, 2014, 2:17 pm 

Opus: 8
System: Dell Precision T5500, 8 core Dual Xeon 2.13 GHz, 24 GB RAM, All SSD drives
I am having an inordinately difficult time with a couple of basic HTML5 functions.

1. Email links - No "mailto" function available. Managed to make it work...sort of...by putting an email address in the launch URL function. Got a blank email with the address correct. It worked at least for Outlook...but also caused a 404 of a "url not found" from trying to treat it as an address making it useless.

2. Even worse, I cant' figure out how to allow a file to be downloaded. While the HTML5 code for this is pretty straightforward, i.e.

click here to
<a
href="resource234.txt"
download="license.txt"
>
download the license
</a>

the whole point is to make this sort of thing work for Opus users. I found that users COULD download images with a right click as long as I didn't embed them. Here again, though, is a "gotcha." The default is an .svg file which yields nothing, and users have to choose png or bmp....which they aren't going to to.

These are fundamental to even the most simple web publications and I'd really like to know if there is a simple solution.

Anybody dealt with these?

Dave

"If you can't measure it, it's crap."
David A. Mallette, 1980

For this message Mallette has been thanked by : mackavi

Post subject: Re: Basic HTML5 Functions
PostPosted: July 16th, 2014, 5:47 pm 
Godlike
Godlike

Opus: Evolution
Wow there's a lot for this hot Wednesday afternoon...

The simple answer is~:
Code:
window.location.href =

For example the email link (not the form - that's PHP) on our website http://www.live.interaktiv.co.uk/?section=contact uses the following:

Code:
function sendMail() {
   var link = "mailto:" + myOfficeEmail + "&subject=" + window.encodeURI("Interaktiv Website Contact Form");
   window.location.href = link;
}

The text box in Opus that displays the myOfficeEmail variable above just has a click action and calls that function.

In theory, you can also use href for linking to a file, but what happens to it depends on your server settings - IE most .jpg files would be displayed in the browser - but .zip files will be downloaded. I believe that more advanced JS can be used to trigger other types of downloads but I've not had reason to look at it.

If you're looking to embed HTML code for a more traditional solution and right click functionality - then there are several conversations in Evo that explain how to add your own elements.

Not sure I understand the download image part. If the image object in Opus uses a PNG or JPG - then right clicking and downloading retains it's original format.

Mack

Interactive Solutions for Business & Education
Learn Anywhere. Learn Anytime.

www.interaktiv.co.uk
+44 (0) 1395 548057

Profile Visit website  

PostPosted: July 16th, 2014, 6:25 pm 

System: Dell Precision T5500, 8 core Dual Xeon 2.13 GHz, 24 GB RAM, All SSD drives
Well, I hope the image thing isn't one of those "just Dave.." deals. I get "save picture as," but the default is svg which is no good for average users. Image attached.

Precisely where should the download code be inserted? I have not had to do this in a while.
Dave

You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.

David A. Mallette, 1980

PostPosted: July 17th, 2014, 9:55 am 
Godlike
Godlike

It appears that each browser behaves differently.

1. Add a script object to the page and paste the function.

2. Add click trigger to text box with email > then add script action and then call that function.

Mack

www.interaktiv.co.uk
+44 (0) 1395 548057

Profile Visit website  

PostPosted: July 17th, 2014, 1:02 pm 

Good! While still not exactly "user friendly" for the average Opus user, if the HTML code can be run as a script from a page it's certainly less problematic than having to do it from the compiled code.

function sendMail() {
var link = "mailto:" + dave.mallette@texarkanafoxtrot.com + "&subject=" + window.encodeURI("texarkanafoxtrot Website Contact Form");
window.location.href = link;

Is that well formed?

Now, I can't quite parse:
"2. Add click trigger to text box with email > then add script action and then call that function."

Normally, email is called by hypertext in most apps. I am a little lost as to the "text box" and how a click trigger is used here.

Dave

PS - I find it fascinating that the email address was automatically converted to precisely what I am trying to do: Get a one click function to bring up an email.

David A. Mallette, 1980

PostPosted: July 17th, 2014, 1:48 pm 
Godlike
Godlike

Nearly.

Mack

You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.

www.interaktiv.co.uk
+44 (0) 1395 548057

Profile Visit website  

PostPosted: July 17th, 2014, 2:59 pm 

Good Lord, man...that's ALL there is to it!

I really need to learn how to write my questions better.

Is there a similar trick to allow a person to download a .wav file, a document, or image directly?

Also, can you explain why that htm file opened in a browser without a warning from IE that had to be acknowledged? It's the first one ever!

Dave

David A. Mallette, 1980

PostPosted: July 17th, 2014, 3:18 pm 

OK, quick deflation to feeling like a dunce again.

Published file works perfectly...including opening without an ActiveX warning.

So does email.imp, complies and runs as above.

I copy it directly into an existing program and it does nothing. I've studied the email.imp and finding nothing not copied...but it just does nothing. I reviewed the OpusScript command for SendEmail and it looks like this:

message.SetSelection(0,-1)
var emailText = message.GetSelectionText()
SendEmail("Jdoe@digitalworkshop.com","","","Welcome",emailText

Completely different from the sendMail() in the script.

Tested the OpusScript sendEmail function on a button with script formed as: sendEMail("dave@texarkanafoxtrot.com"). It did nothing.

Needless to say, I am confounded and befuddled.

Dave

David A. Mallette, 1980

PostPosted: July 17th, 2014, 3:32 pm 

OK...now I am guessing.

I assume:

1. The OpusScript function doesn't work anymore.
2. The function you called is the one in your below response from Interactiv.

So, I am publishing the file you sent locally so I can examine the code and see where it is located.

Dave

David A. Mallette, 1980

PostPosted: July 17th, 2014, 4:37 pm 

After staring at Mackavi's compiled code and my own, I eventually puzzled out where to copy and paste his function into the Opus code and make it work.

Seems an inordinate task for a basic function. I don't mean the code, it is what it is. What I mean is why one has to go through this exercise instead of it being built in to Opus. It really isn't optional for even the most basic web sites, nor is a simple "click here" function to download various file types.

Now, I've got to go to work to figure out the download issue.

Major THANKS to Mackavi. There is some degree of satisfaction in my figuring this out but it would never have happened without his clues.

Dave

David A. Mallette, 1980

PostPosted: July 18th, 2014, 7:41 pm 
Godlike
Godlike

Hi Dave,

Although my solution works well for us because we're using an encoded email address, I realised I hadn't looked at the original 404 issue and having had a quick try - don't understand where you got this problem from...

If I want a really simple email link, I just add the launch URL action using mailto: and use _self option for destination frame. This seems to work without issue on the big three browsers.

Mack

www.interaktiv.co.uk
+44 (0) 1395 548057

Profile Visit website  

PostPosted: August 13th, 2014, 3:38 am 

It's interesting how Opus has gone from a very user-friendly, no code needed, product to something that needs constant work-arounds and bits of code hanging off to get it to do the basic HTML5 functions. Opus seems to be moving away from it's original target group of teachers and educators. I hope we can get back to basics with the final release.

For this message Trevor Boulton has been thanked by : demofred, mackavi

Profile Visit website  

Post subject: So right!
PostPosted: August 13th, 2014, 2:10 pm 

Opus: 7.05
System: P4 3.2GHz 1GB RAM 2-TB HDs + 4 more
Trevor -- You are so right! The reality, unfortunately, is that in the US business world, no one is using EXE files on disks to do marketing or training. The education community never has any money, and they don't know OPUS. Everything is now on websites. It's HTML5 or nothing.

The ONLY way DW can survive is to create something which allows a user to quickly/easily make something which runs on the web -- like it or not. Everyone will agree OPUS is light years ahead of PowerPoint, but it has never caught on like PPT. Beta tapes were much better looking than VHS, but Beta is long gone. Unfortunately, history is repeating itself in the software world. OPUS has become the best "buggy whip" manufacturer in the "new age of automobiles." Time will tell if DW can re-invent itself to meet user demands of this new century. I hope they can!!!!!

I LOVE OPUS. I think it is the BEST software package I have ever owned/used. It is powerful, yet extremely easy to learn and use. I don't use scripting. I hired people to get serious code written. I could almost always do whatever was needed from OPUS' menu items -- point and click. Let's hope DW doesn't forget the educational community.

(This obviously is just my personal opinion)

For this message demofred has been thanked by : mackavi

Profile Visit website  

PostPosted: August 15th, 2014, 8:13 am 
Godlike
Godlike

Trevor Boulton wrote:
...Opus seems to be moving away from it's original target group of teachers and educators...

Well here in the UK, every teacher from 5-16, will shortly be required to both know how and to teach coding as part of the digital curriculum. I've taught 7 year olds using Opus and would be more than happy to teach Opus HTML5 in a focused environment with the initial set of triggers and actions available.

And I use the word initial, because I'm sure like other software vendors, DW will continue to add 'click and build' functionality suitable for educating primary school level children using either Creator or Opus Pro.

The fact that, the latter application Opus Professional, has always included coding but now offers direct access to a globally important language means that outside of the focused classroom environment those users who still want to design outstanding business level publications - can now tap into any cutting edge functionality without the limitations of a single development package. No it may not be ideal, but no company is going to build an application with every conceivable function that meets the needs of every user. But a good company will continue to develop their application and listen to the needs of its user base and DW is demonstrating both.

As far as adding more and more coding functionality to Opus goes, do we really expect any application that can be used at primary level 'click and build' development to have students in high school dragging buttons onto a page without either understanding the code behind the screen or actually using the language of the web. With the functions DW have been adding, Opus Professional has the potential to be an outstanding teaching tool in the 21st Century independent of ability.

Any student will be able to create a 'click and build' web-based application but any student can be challenged to start adding HTML snippets of their own code to a project and moved to using JS snippets to interact with both those snippets and default Opus on screen objects and moved further still to linking their own code files that solve specific problems. The wonderful thing about Opus HTML5 will be that even starting at the lowest level - every child can work towards creating something visual that does something and learn the basics of coding without touching a line of code but continue to become outstanding designers concentrating on the visual, or develop advanced visual coding understanding using actions and triggers or branch into world of the written code to solve problems in their maths and science classes but based around the visual world of the Opus page.

I don't see it as returning to the basics, but who will be left behind as the world and its children continue moving forward.

Mack

www.interaktiv.co.uk
+44 (0) 1395 548057

Profile Visit website  

PostPosted: August 15th, 2014, 8:33 am 
Godlike
Godlike

mackavi wrote:
Trevor Boulton wrote:
...Opus seems to be moving away from it's original target group of teachers and educators...

Well here in the UK, every teacher of 5-16 year olds, will shortly be required to both know how and to teach coding as part of the digital curriculum. I've taught 7 year olds using Opus and would be more than happy to teach Opus HTML5 in a focused environment with the initial set of triggers and actions available.

And I use the word initial, because I'm sure like other software vendors, DW will continue to add 'click and build' functionality suitable for educating primary school level children using either Creator or Opus Pro.

The fact that, the latter application Opus Professional, has always included coding but now offers direct access to a globally important language means that outside of the focused classroom environment those users who still want to design outstanding business level publications - can now tap into any cutting edge functionality without the limitations of a single development package. No it may not be ideal, but no company is going to build an application with every conceivable function that meets the needs of every user. But a good company will continue to develop their application and listen to the needs of its user base and DW is demonstrating both.

As far as adding more and more coding functionality to Opus goes, do we really expect any application that can be used at primary level 'click and build' development to have students in high school dragging buttons onto a page without either understanding the code behind the screen or actually using the language of the web. With the functions DW have been adding, Opus Professional has the potential to be an outstanding teaching tool in the 21st Century independent of ability.

Any student will be able to create a 'click and build' web-based application but any student can be challenged to start adding HTML snippets of their own code to a project and moved to using JS snippets to interact with both those snippets and default Opus on screen objects and moved further still to linking their own code files that solve specific problems. The wonderful thing about Opus HTML5 will be that even starting at the lowest level - every child can work towards creating something visual that does something and learn the basics of coding without touching a line of code but continue to become outstanding designers concentrating on the visual, or develop advanced visual coding understanding using actions and triggers or branch into world of the written code to solve problems in their maths and science classes but based around the visual world of the Opus page.

I don't see it as returning to the basics, but who will be left behind as the world and its children continue moving forward.

Mack

www.interaktiv.co.uk
+44 (0) 1395 548057

Profile Visit website