Digital Workshop

Welcome to the Digital Workshop Message Boards
It is currently May 18th, 2024, 6:16 am

All times are UTC [ DST ]

Post subject: Windows 10 and the Intel HD Graphics 4000 Driver
PostPosted: November 24th, 2015, 3:00 pm 

I think we all now agree that this driver on Windows 10 just does not work with Opus Pro..I do fear though that this is a very widely used graphics chipset.
Where do we go with this?
I have a corporate footprint of 500 Lenovo Laptops using this chipset and we are beginning to look to Windows 10 early next year.
It looks like I am going to have to shelve Opus Pro unless something happens one way or the other...Can anyone offer any advice or fix for this?

Windows 10 is not going away...nor is Intel....So it looks like Opus Pro may well be, sadly.

David

For this message DavidWright has been thanked by : mackavi

Post subject: Re: Windows 10 and the Intel HD Graphics 4000 Driver
PostPosted: November 27th, 2015, 4:30 pm 

Opus: Pro 9.75
System: MacBook Pro (Intel 2020)
David,

The Intel 4000 graphics chipset is unfortunately the only computer I have with Windows 10 installed and I am experiencing some major redraw issues with it.

I haven't had the time recently to get another Windows 10 installed on a different system but I do agree it is a widely used chipset.

Luke

For this message lmc has been thanked by : mackavi

PostPosted: December 2nd, 2015, 6:14 pm 

I don't think anyone has an answer to it....It looks like this is only going to get worse as more people adopt Windows 10.

Is there anyone at DW who can look into what is causing this? Surely someone there can recreate it and let us know exactly waht is causing this?

David

PostPosted: December 3rd, 2015, 8:50 am 
Godlike
Godlike

Opus: Evolution
David,

Have you spoken to Digital Workshop?

</mack>

Interactive Solutions for Business & Education
Learn Anywhere. Learn Anytime.

www.interaktiv.co.uk
+44 (0) 1395 548057

Profile Visit website  

PostPosted: December 3rd, 2015, 3:37 pm 

I did and they had no resolution, but that was a while back...I am hoping they may take a closer look to see what exactly is causing it.
Just blaming it on Windows 10 is a little bit weak, especially as they may begin to lose a userbase around it...I an about a year or so..Windows 10 will pretty much be the only OS out there.

PostPosted: December 3rd, 2015, 5:55 pm 
Godlike
Godlike

DavidWright wrote:
Just blaming it on Windows 10 is a little bit weak.

It's an interesting point, but then whose responsibility is it?

</mack>

www.interaktiv.co.uk
+44 (0) 1395 548057

Profile Visit website  

PostPosted: December 3rd, 2015, 6:09 pm 

I think ignoring the inevitability of Windows 10 will only hurt DW..It certainly won't be looked at by Microsoft or Intel.
I can see only one loser here...sorry.

I suppose DW could put a disclaimer on the box that says..doesn't work with Intel 4000 chipsets and Windows 10...see how that goes down.
Or hope Intel scraps the chipset in the future...my guess is, another one will come along and replace it.

For me, The reality is...I am going to have to dump the product as my company is not going to dump it's OS strategy or Hardware strategy.
I am sure I am not the only one.

PostPosted: December 3rd, 2015, 10:42 pm 
Godlike
Godlike

Given that DW have never before ignored a Window release, including the original WDDM issue that was introduced with W7 and that the recent Opus Pro 9 saw the inclusion of a major new publishing option in the form of HTML5 - why do you think they would jeopardise all that good work by ignoring this 'inevitable' OS?

</mack>

www.interaktiv.co.uk
+44 (0) 1395 548057

Profile Visit website  

PostPosted: December 4th, 2015, 7:54 am 
Godlike
Godlike

Opus: OpusPro v9.0x, & Evol.
System: Core 2 duo 2Ghz, RAM 3GB, Nvidia Go 7700 - laptop
DavidWright wrote:
I don't think anyone has an answer to it....It looks like this is only going to get worse as more people adopt Windows 10.

Is there anyone at DW who can look into what is causing this? Surely someone there can recreate it and let us know exactly what is causing this?

David

I have been following this and related discussions here, and elsewhere more generally. IMO it is not DW's fault. I have been following Acer's and other makers forums, and the same issues keep coming up: if you have a desktop system, you may have some options to get an add-in graphics card and appropriate drivers to navigate through the problem. And even that has some caveats.

If you have a Laptop, and you cannot upgrade your graphics... that is almost a dead-end situation. I cannot imagine that any competent IT department would travel down that road and migrate to Windows 10 knowing that there are inherent gotchas that Intel and Microsoft have not addressed.

Also, keep in mind that the responsibility of graphic drivers is with the OEM (Acer, Asus, HP, Dell, Lenovo.....) And some aspects of this are tied into the BIOS that the manufacturer produces. And this factor is even more of an issue in laptops, notebooks, and tablets -- where the OEMs PC utilities and configurations stop being supported after just a year or two.

Here is just one example that the problem is more general, and pervasive. If you google the issue intelligently, you will get a perspective of the industry's disconnect here.
https://communities.intel.com/thread/77 ... 0&tstart=0
I think I've posted other links/resources that cite Intel's limitations in making HD 4000 work with Windows 10. Again, if a corporation's IT department proceeds to migrate to Windows 10 knowing those issues and limitations with the installed base of hardware, somebody is getting very well overpaid IMO.

I think it is wrong to point to DW as the crux of the problem. It is clearly more widespread. But you can have your opinion for sure.

For this message Lar_123 has been thanked by : mackavi

PostPosted: December 4th, 2015, 12:20 pm 

It doesn't matter which way you or I point the blame for this...The only individuals damaged by this will be DW, unless some fix appears from somewhere.

The reality for me as an Enterprise engineer that uses this application:

We are piloting Windows 10 because Windows 7 & 8 is sliding out of support and a lot of businesses won't entertain 8 with 10 already out there.
We have no issues with any of our corporate applications on Windows 10 so the business case is becoming pretty sound. My Opus app is failing on graphics grounds, hence my plea here.
If it can't be fixed, so be it...It's a sad farewell to Opus. I won't be the last, pretending it won't happen is stupid...I really don't want to bin it, hell, I just upgraded to 9.

I am just stating the facts as they stand with my organisation which has around 6000 Laptops...and consequently a very favourable arrangement with Lenovo, who hold this chipset, as do many other vendors.

The last hope is that Intel go out of business. :-)

PostPosted: December 4th, 2015, 3:54 pm 
Godlike
Godlike

Just slightly confused on a Friday afternoon, but do you have:

1. Licences for 6000 copies of Opus Pro on these machines?

or

2. A single licence for an Opus Pro upgrade on your machine?

</mack>

www.interaktiv.co.uk
+44 (0) 1395 548057

Profile Visit website  

PostPosted: December 4th, 2015, 4:12 pm 

I have one licence for the application to develop with but I publish the finished exe to multiple machines.
BTW, I have no desire to see DW fail in this...I have been using this product since Illuminatus and bought version one directly from the DW developers at a multimedia show way way back...I have a very sentimental attachment to this software and do not wish to see it suffer.

PostPosted: December 4th, 2015, 4:49 pm 
Godlike
Godlike

In which case, can I suggest you enquire about an evolution licence - as it will give you access to advanced developers section of this forum and more importantly, access to the beta versions that cover solutions to problems before they hit general release.

</mack>

www.interaktiv.co.uk
+44 (0) 1395 548057

Profile Visit website  

PostPosted: December 5th, 2015, 11:12 am 

Opus: 9.0
System: Icore 7
...hmm never heard of an "Evolution License", sounds interesting.
What is the price of such a license for a single developer?

For this message pakapaka has been thanked by : mackavi

PostPosted: April 15th, 2016, 12:39 am 

Opus: Opus Pro 9.x
System: MSI Dragon Laptop - 8 Core i7, 32gb ram, 2tb hd, GeForce GTX 980
Has anyone heard of Opus Pro not working with Intel chipset AND Windows 7 Ultimate?

I just created a self-running .exe and the software runs, but on Intel chipset machines the videos will not play at all. I am in big trouble if I cannot get this working. They need it for TOMORROW and I had no idea that Intel chipsets did not work with Opus Pro and video. Also, this same publication won't work with ATI Radeon either - same problem. Videos won't load in or play. Videos play fine when you run them with a video player external to the Opus Pro .exe, but not inside the software.

I tried outputting to a web version, but it will ONLY work with Firefox. It won't work with Chrome or IE!

I tried publishing a html5 version, but no video player - the video won't play because there is no option for a video player.

Any suggestions?

Mike

For this message karmacomposer has been thanked by : mackavi

Profile Visit website