Welcome to the Digital Workshop Message Boards
It is currently May 21st, 2024, 11:33 am

All times are UTC [ DST ]

Post subject: Game Scoring HTML5
PostPosted: September 1st, 2017, 6:58 pm 
Godlike
Godlike

Opus: Opus Pro 9.75
System: Core i7, 16G RAM, Nvidia 640GT (desktop), plus Windows 10 and Android tablets
I need to add scoring to an Opus published HTML5 game (JS in an external JS file), and want to pass the incremented score (score++) back to the Opus page, for example to a text box with the score variable inserted.

If I add an incrementing score counter (counter1 +=1 or counter1++) to the external JS when a successful scoring action occurs, (1) how do I pass this from the external JS file and (2) how do I refer to the score variable in Opus Script?

Best Wishes,

For this message Stephen has been thanked by : mackavi

Post subject: Re: Game Scoring HTML5
PostPosted: September 3rd, 2017, 10:41 am 
Godlike
Godlike

Opus: Evolution
Publication variables are properties of the _DWPub object but if you are wanting an on-screen variable to update then in may be better to call a function on the Opus page from the external JS as this will trigger the code Opus uses to update on-screen elements.

Code:
_DWPub.m_currentPage.myOpusFunction(value)

</mack>

Interactive Solutions for Business & Education
Learn Anywhere. Learn Anytime.

www.interaktiv.co.uk
+44 (0) 1395 548057

For this message mackavi has been thanked by : Stephen

Profile Visit website  

PostPosted: September 3rd, 2017, 3:54 pm 
Godlike
Godlike

System: Core i7, 16G RAM, Nvidia 640GT (desktop), plus Windows 10 and Android tablets
Hi Mack,

Thank you for this.

So far, 'molasses for brains' this morning, for me. :lol: Can't figure this out. Trying to add a scoring function to Bejeweled. js based on number of new gems placed (probably a good indicator of successful matches). If 3 gems placed, score 3, if 4 gems, 4, etc.

There is a local function in Bejeweled.js that seems to record how many gems are placed after a turn:

Code:
function placeNewGems(){

In this function, there is a variable: gemsPlaced.

So, if I create a score-counter text box on the Opus page with a variable: counter inserted, then in the external Bejeweled.js script, add _DWPub.counter=gemsPlaced (placed somewhere in the external script, but not sure about where or what event handler to use/add?), maybe this would work to keep and display score? Have tried any number of combinations based on this, reading up on global scoped variables, etc. but after many hours of trying, no joy.

Any suggestions would be much appreciated.

Last edited by Stephen on September 3rd, 2017, 5:47 pm, edited 1 time in total.

PostPosted: September 3rd, 2017, 5:36 pm 
Godlike
Godlike

Opus: Evolution
First, to find the variable that you're looking for using console.log(variable name) and display the debug tools for your browser.

Once, you've got that you'd better trying the second method I suggest as simply changing the Opus variable may not be reflected on screen. So for example,

Code:
_DWPub.m_currentPage.setScore(gemsPlaced)

Will call a function called setScore (you have to create this) on the current Opus page and pass your gemsPlaced variable. Again you can use window.console.log to check that it has been passed to Opus. It'll look something like:

Code:
function setScore(variable_from_external_script){
on_screen_variable = variable_from_external_script; 
}

</mack>

Interactive Solutions for Business & Education
Learn Anywhere. Learn Anytime.

www.interaktiv.co.uk
+44 (0) 1395 548057

Profile Visit website  

PostPosted: September 3rd, 2017, 5:48 pm 
Godlike
Godlike

Thanks, again.

Making progress.

If I add a variable (counterG) to the external script, pair it as counterG++ in the same function as gemsPlaced++, equate it to the screen variable (counter=window.counterG), in a 1-second ticker trigger, when I test and make a correct match, it will increment by +1 and successfully display. Additional matches are added and correctly displayed on screen.

Would prefer to update simply by using a variable-changed trigger instead of a 1-second ticker, but so far hasn't worked. counter=window.counterG has to be triggered in order to change the variable and utilize the variable-changed trigger. The variable changed trigger won't accept a window.counterG (or window.gemsPlaced) variable using this window. syntax. So, not sure how to improve upon using ticker every second? Maybe, I'm not yet fully understanding this?

Can also rotate the F1 frame but only in 360 degree + or - amounts. If the angle rotated is less or more than 360, gem selection is off.

Any suggestions appreciated.

Best Wishes,