Digital Workshop

Welcome to the Digital Workshop Message Boards
It is currently May 17th, 2024, 11:51 am

All times are UTC [ DST ]

Post subject: PUBLICATION WIZARD DILEMMA
PostPosted: November 16th, 2004, 4:21 am 

Hi to all! I am using Opus Pro XE 4.0 and I am about to publish a pub with the internet as a delivery medium. I have noticed that when you click on publish Opus gives you 4 options to publish:
1-Create a standalone publication
2-Create a iO plugin based standalone publication
3-Create a web publication
4-Create a screensaver.

Option 1 and 4 very clear. No problem there.

The issue is with option 2 and 3. I have read the manual but STILL I do not understand the main difference, advantage or disadvantage. So my questions are:

1-Option 2 and 3 are for use on the web. That is clear
2-I know that option 3 produces a .ilm file embedded into a html page, that is ok BUT If I want to use option 2 it creates an standalone publication so how I going to present the pub to the client using this option? Let me explain....Option 3 is presented using a internet link to a page let called index.htm. When people click on that file the ilm embedded into the page kicks and the pub is presented (right?)
Now...
3-Can anybody in DW explain to me how I present on the web a pub created using option 2??Do I have to provide a link from inside a html page to the executable that it is created and if this is so then:
a-Usually when you produce links to an executable, the browser will ask you what do you want to do: save or open? If the customer chooses open then it will need to be fully donwload before start playing or it will be stream it???
b-Why is then these two options presented. Could you please explain to me...I am a bit confuse and I need to finish a project using one of those options at the time of publishing....
I need an answer asap because my project is due tomorrow. Thanks

Yours truly confused

German

Pro version 8.10 user

For this message Koala has been thanked by : mackavi

Post subject:
PostPosted: November 16th, 2004, 5:39 am 

Hi Herman,
Option 2 is NOT for use on the web -- it is only used if you want to distribute a small exe to users with the IO plugin installed.

The ONLY option you have for a pub presented on the web is option 3 -- Create a web publication.

cheers
Paul

For this message Paul has been thanked by : mackavi

Post subject: Then what is the difference
PostPosted: November 16th, 2004, 6:52 am 

Hi Paul,
Thank you for your reply. My follow up question then will be...
If option 2 is not really a web option..why DW present this as a web solution?
What is the point of producing this pub using the iOplugin when option 1 is perfectly ok to distribute on the net? You zip the file and then you provide a link to that zip file, the customer then download it.
No....It must be something more that I can't see at the moment with option 2 so let's hope DW can reply to this enquiry.

Thanks anyway Paul
German

Pro version 8.10 user

Post subject: Re: Then what is the difference
PostPosted: November 16th, 2004, 11:12 am 

Hi,

Thank you for your enquiry.

As you may be aware, when you publish an executable in Opus, the publication data file is combined with a file named ilmplay.exe (located in C:\Program Files\Opus Pro 04\Players\win32). This 'player' file is the same for every publication and contains all of the code necessary to run your publication data on the end-users system. This player file adds an overhead of around 1.5 MB to any published file.

The iO-plugin essentially installs this player file onto the end-user's system, so when they visit your iO-based web publication, they only need to download the publication data and the previously-installed plug-in will run the publication.

Publishing a project as an 'iO plugin based standalone publication' creates an executable which does not contain the player file and is therefore substantially smaller than a normal standalone publication. For example, publishing a blank, single page publication as a standalone publication results in a file weighing in at 1.56 MB, whereas publishing an iO based standalone publication results in a file size of 78 KB.

This is obviously very useful when distributing publications on small storage media such as floppy disks or business card CDs or sending publications by e-mail for review. If the client has not previously downloaded the iO-plugin, they will be prompted to download this from our web site (using the same interface shown on web publications) and once the plug-in is installed, they will be able to view the publication (and any future iO-based publications) without delay.

I hope this helps. Please do not hesitate to contact me if you have any further queries.

Kind regards,

For this message Robin Garrett has been thanked by : mackavi

Profile Visit website  

Post subject: Thanks
PostPosted: November 16th, 2004, 11:24 am 

Hi Robin
Thank you very much!
This is the exact information I was looking for!
I was sure that was some important missing piece of information in my analysis.

German

Pro version 8.10 user