Digital Workshop

Welcome to the Digital Workshop Message Boards
It is currently October 11th, 2024, 8:21 pm

All times are UTC [ DST ]

Post subject: Importing Illuminatus 3 publications
PostPosted: April 6th, 2010, 5:22 pm 

Opus: Pro XE 5
System: HP/Compaq Core 2 Duo E7300 2.66GHz, 3.5 GB RAM
I think I probably know the answer to this but here goes anyway... The kit running an old Illuminatus 3 publication has died and we've had to replace it. Amazingly the publication still works OK on a recycled office box running XP but there are a few inaccuracies in the text which it would be helpful to update. Until I can find the time to rewrite the whole thing, is there any way that I can get it into Opus Pro XE 5 without starting from scratch? I've tried installing Illuminatus 3 on XP (yes, I still have the installation disk!) but it didn't seem very happy and the installer didn't close properly. It did run and I was able to edit the publication - I have all the original resources - but it wouldn't compile properly, there were error messages relating to animations. I expect the advice will be - start again in Opus but if there is a quick-fix alternative I'd be glad to hear it.

For this message alanh has been thanked by : mackavi

Post subject: Re: Importing Illuminatus 3 publications
PostPosted: April 6th, 2010, 5:37 pm 
Godlike
Godlike

Opus: OpusPro v9.0x, & Evol.
System: Core 2 duo 2Ghz, RAM 3GB, Nvidia Go 7700 - laptop
Alan,
re: installing Illuminatus 3 on XP
Do you recall that WinXP has a way to set a program to run in "Windows 98 compatibility mode"?
After installing, find at least the main program .exe and edit its Properties. Somewhere in there is a checkbox option to set that compatibility.

If your Pub is at all complex, using audio and video... you may have to find older codecs and perhaps roll-back or try different device drivers. Font availability may have changed too, but less likely a serious issue.

BTW, for the above we're talking mainly about the Editor and workspace and publishing... not running the finished Pub, right?

Quote:
any way that I can get it into Opus Pro XE 5
Does Illuminatus have the back-up feature that will put the .ILM and resource files in a Zip folder? If so, try that. Then bring the Zip folder over to the XP machine, unzip it and try opening it with your v5.5XE.

For this message Lar_123 has been thanked by : mackavi

PostPosted: April 6th, 2010, 5:58 pm 
Godlike
Godlike

Opus: Evolution
Hi Alan,

I'm looking at something similar at the moment. Send me an email and I'll see what I can do.

Mack

Interactive Solutions for Business & Education
Learn Anywhere. Learn Anytime.

www.interaktiv.co.uk
+44 (0) 1395 548057

Profile Visit website  

PostPosted: April 7th, 2010, 9:35 am 

Lar_123 wrote:
Alan,
re: installing Illuminatus 3 on XP
Quote:
Do you recall that WinXP has a way to set a program to run in "Windows 98 compatibility mode"?
After installing, find at least the main program .exe and edit its Properties. Somewhere in there is a checkbox option to set that compatibility.

Thanks, yes, I had in fact set it to Windows 95 compatibitily...

Quote:
If your Pub is at all complex, using audio and video... you may have to find older codecs and perhaps roll-back or try different device drivers. Font availability may have changed too, but less likely a serious issue.

While the publication is fairly basic, it does have a number of short slideshows; I think you are probably right about some missing codec support - hence the error message relating to animations...

Quote:
BTW, for the above we're talking mainly about the Editor and workspace and publishing... not running the finished Pub, right?

Yes, that's right. The original finished publication still runs fine. My recompiled version runs with most of the opening and subsequent screen visual assets missing - not too helpful!

Quote:
any way that I can get it into Opus Pro XE 5
Does Illuminatus have the back-up feature that will put the .ILM and resource files in a Zip folder? If so, try that. Then bring the Zip folder over to the XP machine, unzip it and try opening it with your v5.5XE.

It does consolidate all the resources but Opus Pro doesn't seem to want to know about the .ILM file

PostPosted: April 7th, 2010, 10:22 am 
Godlike
Godlike

Opus: OpusPro v9.0x, & Evol.
System: Core 2 duo 2Ghz, RAM 3GB, Nvidia Go 7700 - laptop
For simple images and slideshow, I doubt codec is an issue.

On the rest, I'll defer to those who have been hands-on with that legendary workhorse.

For this message Lar_123 has been thanked by : mackavi

PostPosted: April 8th, 2010, 11:53 am 

Thanks for the responses which helped me formulate a plan! I have finally managed to get the publication into Opus Pro 5 by the circuitous route of finding an old Windows 98 machine, then installing Illuminatus 4 and an early (2001) vintage copy of Opus on it. I opened the Illuminatus 3 (*.MPB) publication successfully in version 4 and was then able to save it in the later (*.IMP) file format. The early Opus opened this successfully and I again saved the file after being warned that is would be subject to some irreversible changes. After a slight battle to get a USB stick to work with Win 98 (sigh) I was able to transfer the .ILM file and open it in my current version of Opus. I think I'm still ahead of where I would be if I'd tried to start again from scratch, though I still have some tidying up to do!