Digital Workshop

Welcome to the Digital Workshop Message Boards
It is currently June 18th, 2024, 1:56 pm

All times are UTC [ DST ]

Post subject: finding files after publications ARGH!!!!!!
PostPosted: January 20th, 2012, 9:46 am 

Opus: Opus Pro Edition 9.51
System: Acer Aspire V touch screen edition 4G RAM
Hi all.. :evil: getting a little frustrated here and would very much LOVE some help.

Here is my problem:

I cant understand ( nor find ) this option that will allow Opus to search my publication on its own and find the data I need.

the ONLY way I can achieve this is to " HARD-WIRE" my paths....
for example I create a project that reads a name address and age.

Firstly, I create a new directory on my C drive ( for example ) and call the project " Who are you Version 1.0"

then , on my C:\ drive , I create ANOTHER folder called "DATA". -INSIDE that folder there are 3 more separate folders NAME, ADDRESS, AGE. with a "text" file containing the required information in each.

During development, this all works fine for example:
to find these variables here is how its done step by step...

ON SHOW
read from disk file C:\ DATA\NAME\name.txt save to variable < name>
read from disk file C:\ DATA\ADDRESS\address.txt save to variable <address>
read from disk file C:\ DATA\AGE\age.txt save to variable <age>

At this point, lets assume that when it runs the name address and age are displayed. ( fine so far )....BUT!!!!

when I publish ( as you realize ) I have to take this folder called "DATA" which contains the name address and age folders ( and their text files ) and manually place that on the C drive on every machine Im going to be using that publication on...and why? - obviously, because this is the set path opus needs to find these elements.

what I am VERY unclear about is this....

I have looked up in Opus help for these things called cheverons ( double chevrons ? ) cant find it any place.... << >> are these the symbols? how do I use hem?

if I DO find these things ( apparently these are the things I need to use in order for Opus to find my " Data" folder on its own.

1: When does Opus find these files by self searching?. ...during development or ONLY AFTER publication?

I am unsure here...even IF I manage to have opus "find" my "DATA" folder, do I have to copy and paste the DATA folder MANUALLY after I PUBLISH the project for Opus to find it? - or can Opus do that for me as well during the publication process?

2:.....when I'm actually DESIGNING the project...where should this "DATA" folder reside inside? is it the RESOURCE folder?, or will within the folder I am using to hold my .imp files?

Hard-wire a path back and forth is easy ( THAT bit I get ) but how the HECK does Opus manage to find the files I want ? - and if it searches and finds them on its own, does that mean I can just create a single folder and toss all the needed .txt files and pics into a single folder and let Opus sort them out without having to split them up into.. name\name.txt ( for example )...... and just dump it all in one big folder?

its soooooo confusing!!!!

Post subject: Re: finding files after publications ARGH!!!!!!
PostPosted: January 20th, 2012, 11:57 am 
Godlike
Godlike

Opus: Evolution
In the Help > Index enter "system variables" - there is a sub-topic called glossary. This lists all the in-built variables used by Opus and what they do.

These variables when used in an ACTION or SCRIPT will give you a relative path. IE:

Code:
Debug.trace(SYSTEM_PUBLICATION_DIR+"names.txt")

Displays the current location of where the publication (either in developing or published format) is located. If you move the publication (or executable), likewise the path changes.

The simplest method would be to create a folder for your IMP with a sub-folder called DATA and then use SYSTEM_PUBLICATION_DIR. As this is the basic section, I guess you're using actions not script, so your path in the file name box would look like this:

Code:
<SYSTEM_PUBLICATION_DIR>DATA\names.txt

Yes, the system variable is wrapped in single angled brackets "<>". *see below.

You also don't need a backslash after the variable as it's included.

Using this method, wherever your publication is installed (or your working IMP is), the files will always be in a sub-folder of that directory called DATA.

Ideally, data and configuration is normally placed outside of the folders containing the executables. This would mean either using the document or program data (on Vista+) directories. There has been discussion on these before on the forum. Don't install software or files into locations such as root (C:\) by default.

As for the installer, although DW's is simple, I would recommend Advanced Installer. They have a free version that is outstanding for basic work.

Mack

* I don't believe there is an agreed official name for <> and it will also depend on the discipline and use. For example, in comparison operators they are greater and less than. Personally, I follow this:

<> Angled brackets
[] Square brackets
{} Curly brackets
() brackets or parenthesis

In the UK, chevrons are what stop me hitting the car in front on the M5 :-)

Interactive Solutions for Business & Education
Learn Anywhere. Learn Anytime.

www.interaktiv.co.uk
+44 (0) 1395 548057

Profile Visit website  

PostPosted: January 21st, 2012, 4:08 am 

Opus: Opus Pro Edition 9.51
System: Acer Aspire V touch screen edition 4G RAM
THANKS MACK!

- actually a story that might explain the confusion with chevrons.

This has been a problem with me since I got opus, ( way back when...) - I always chose to put this into the " too hard basket " and did other projects instead.
I found myself in need of storing variables and managed to "hard-wire" a direct connection - it was really hard work with huge projects watching & testing ever single link.

In early November last year I thought BUGGER IT! - if I'm going to do this - then I'm going to be taught by someone at DW. themselves!!

I called the DW number in the UK , and left a message a week earlier telling of my intent to travel to the UK for a holiday and if possible, requested a little of their time if possible.

A week later I hopped a flight from Sydney - all the way to the UK and though RIGHT! - time to make the call.

I actually spoke to Paul Harris himself - ( who by the way is one of the nicest blokes you could ever meet ). sadly, there was a time frame issue, and I couldn't get to catch up in person with any of the team - however, Paul did his best to help me get my head around the concept.

The one thing that had been left out of the puzzle was he kept referring to these things called "chevrons" - I distinctly remembered that term.

So, with Opus 7 in hand, I returned to Sydney after my holiday and loaded it, and went looking for these "chevrons" in the help section.....NOTHING!!!!

NOW I get it MACK!!!! - he meant to say < > all along! and YES! Ive driven along the motorways over there and your quite right! these bloody " chevrons" as YOU LOT call them ARE everywhere!" ....however we call them GREATER or LESS markers here in Australia. but we don't have them sprayed on our roads.

Regardless, the 1 month holiday was fantastic anyway. lol! I went all OVER the place. by-the-way..Yorkshire pudding & hot Ham are the greatest inventions since time was first recorded!!! :lol:

PostPosted: January 21st, 2012, 9:45 am 
Godlike
Godlike

Opus: Evolution
Glad it helped.

Technically, those symbols on the roads are chevrons. An inverted 'V'. I suppose if you like to play chicken and run across motorways, then if you run from right to left, you have a greater change of survival and if you run from left to right you have less chance of survival :-)

But as the man with the frizzy hair once said - it's all relative.

Yorkshire pudding + hot Ham = toad in the hole. Now that is the greatest invention since time was first recorded.

Mack

Interactive Solutions for Business & Education
Learn Anywhere. Learn Anytime.

www.interaktiv.co.uk
+44 (0) 1395 548057

Profile Visit website