Digital Workshop

Welcome to the Digital Workshop Message Boards
It is currently September 30th, 2024, 11:28 pm

All times are UTC [ DST ]

Post subject: Opus Equivalent of "Watched Directory?"
PostPosted: June 1st, 2012, 1:34 pm 

Opus: 8
System: Dell Precision T5500, 8 core Dual Xeon 2.13 GHz, 24 GB RAM, All SSD drives
I'm noodling on a way to send messages to the classroom through my Opus presentation app. Easiest would be a "watched directory" function but I haven't yet found an equivalent. I figure I could use the "Forward" and other buttons on the presenter touchpad to read a file from a mapped network directory as I am doing for the menu, notices, and agenda function on the presentation screen and display the first line on the presenter's screen, but it seems a bit clunky and might not happen for one reason or the other if they are having a discussion or something that doesn't involve hitting any buttons.

Open to any thoughts on this...

This project is coming along nicely and our lead instructor is pretty jazzed. It's WAY ahead of PowerPoint in functionality and features already. If we can get these features built in as an Opus presentation type it will be a killer app rendering Articulate and the like crude by comparision. The "killer" part would be not having to set up the presenter screen with the filmstrip navigation, notes area, etc for every new presentation but just be able to import a PowerPoint into a presenter publication type, have the navigation filmstrip, notes, and such auto-populated, and then add stuff only Opus can as you want.

Dave

"If you can't measure it, it's crap."
David A. Mallette, 1980

Post subject: Re: Opus Equivalent of "Watched Directory?"
PostPosted: June 1st, 2012, 4:41 pm 

Opus: 8
System: Dell Precision T5500, 8 core Dual Xeon 2.13 GHz, 24 GB RAM, All SSD drives
Well, seem to have figured out something that works.

Using a ticker that checks once per second to read from a disk file "message.txt" onto the screen. I have a "Clear" button that writes "No New Messages" back to the same file to clear the box.

Oddly, the "No New Messages" disappears in one second, but if I re-save the notepad "message.txt" file again the message displays and stays up.

I'd like to know why that happens.

Dave

"If you can't measure it, it's crap."
David A. Mallette, 1980