Digital Workshop

Welcome to the Digital Workshop Message Boards
It is currently September 30th, 2024, 9:18 pm

All times are UTC [ DST ]

Post subject: Variables and Registry Values
PostPosted: May 30th, 2012, 8:11 pm 

Opus: 8
System: Dell Precision T5500, 8 core Dual Xeon 2.13 GHz, 24 GB RAM, All SSD drives
My presentation engine is coming along pretty well...actually better than I expected. It's set up such that our admins can update text files with scheduling, menu, and other information that is read to the appropriate screen and classroom. Does some other pretty cool stuff with breaktimers, a filmstrip ribbon for navigating to slides, etc. Our instructors will use tablets to remote control the presentation computer so they can wander around the room as they like to do.

Anyway, it would be efficient to be able to control an independent publication from a different publication. I was wondering if Opus variables for one running pub might be available to another. I am pretty sure I could do some things with registry values.

While I rather doubt the variables from one pub are available to another, I am not certain of that and just thought I'd ask.

Dave

"If you can't measure it, it's crap."
David A. Mallette, 1980

Post subject: Re: Variables and Registry Values
PostPosted: May 31st, 2012, 3:23 pm 
Godlike
Godlike

Opus: Evolution
If you mean two running publications sharing page / publication variables then no I don't it works. As you point out, you could record the data in any number of ways and poll the storage source. You can achieve some powerful master / slave presentations using the technique. The slave publications while interactive have no navigation. The flow of the presentation is controlled by posting the page names or functions which the slave reads and then executes allowing a much greater hands on learning experience without the problems of those learners inclined to flick!

If however, you need to simply launch one presentation from another with given values, then yes Opus can pass these via command line.

Mack

Interactive Solutions for Business & Education
Learn Anywhere. Learn Anytime.

www.interaktiv.co.uk
+44 (0) 1395 548057

Profile Visit website