Welcome to the Digital Workshop Message Boards
It is currently October 4th, 2024, 10:23 pm

All times are UTC [ DST ]

Post subject: Question wizard question
PostPosted: December 11th, 2012, 11:16 am 

Opus: Opus Pro Latest version 9.02 Build 16458
System: Asus laptop Intel Core i5 8 gig ram, big monitor, reading glasses
Greetings again
Using the Opus inbuilt question wizard to create a multi response question.
There are six answer possibilities. The first three answers are correct. Answers 4, 5 and 6 are incorrect.
When the publication is run, the possibilities are shuffled randomly and the user then selects three answers and then clicks a submit button.
Sumbit marks the users response and shows the number of correct questions.
All is fine BUT ...
If the user gets a question wrong, there is no way for the user to identify on-screen which answer is incorrect. All they see is a score.
The best way to show the incorrect answers would be reveal a red cross symbol against the incorrect answers but there doesn't seem to be any way to modify question multi response wizard created objects and actions to make this happen.
I've tried inserting an image and hiding the image to show it when the select button is selected. This works but the image does not get shuffled with the answers.
I tried rendering as a single object and grouping as a single object (the grouping options are greyed out)
My guess is that the question wizards are hard-wired to work in a certain way because parts of the actions and programming cannot be found and so modification is not really possible?
It might be quicker to start from scrach and build what is wanted and just use question wizards when they build exactly what is wanted without alteration.
Screen image attached
Thanks
Graham

You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.

For this message Graham Baglin has been thanked by : mackavi

Post subject: Re: Question wizard question
PostPosted: December 11th, 2012, 6:24 pm 

Opus: v7.04
System: Dell Inspiron 560 Quad Core 2.5Ghz 4Gb RAM, 1Tb HD, HP laptop and various others
Hi Graham,

You simply need to group each of the answers with their feedback icons onto a frame and shuffle the frames instead of just the answer. There's an example in the General Knowledge Quiz provided in the Sample publications which come with the program - page GKQ_Q1.

But yes, you can start from scratch with a blank question object too if you prefer. Just makes sure the question type matches what you want to do. I keep forgetting to check whether I'm using a type which is expecting one answer or more than one.

Paul

For this message Paul Harris has been thanked by : Graham Baglin, mackavi

Profile Visit website  

PostPosted: December 13th, 2012, 8:09 am 

Hi Paul

Thank you for pointing out and reminding me about the example - I think I will now manually costruct something along the example lines.

Unfortunately, I am unable to make further progress with the multi-response question.

In the multi-response question, each of the answers is a button, whereas in your example, each question is a frame. ( jpg attached below showing this)

I tried converting the buttons to a frame without success.

To further confuse me, After the multi-panel question is answered, the selected answers are identified with a grey background. I cannot see how the grey background happens because it doesn't reveal itself in the editor and that is why I suspect there is some background invisable programming happening in the wizard.

Personally as an educator, I think there needs to be some inbuilt correct / incorrect visual indicator in this question.

I can see how your example works but I cannot see how the multi-response question works.

There is also a timeline in the side panel in the milto-response question. I cannot see what that does.

If I've gone astray here, please tell me gently! :D

Thanks

Graham

You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.

PostPosted: December 13th, 2012, 11:10 am 
Godlike
Godlike

Opus: Evolution
Hi Graham,

Lots of points :-)

1. I agree that we we seem to be missing access to some useful bits of information - I think that DW have given us the right tools to build great questions, but somewhere must be information in the question object that would help identify whether a user's choice is right or wrong. I've dug around in the object background but to no avail - but there are lots of new variables that I've not looked at.

2. That said - the grey background is a button property for the different button states. Button down changes the image and background on their respective tabs.

3. Paul's suggestion would involve placing the buttons into a new frame each and then changing the Question Object Actions to shuffle the frames instead of the buttons. You can then add extra items to the frames such as the right / wrong marks. This would cause the check mark to be shuffled correctly alongside the button (answer). See example...

It really depends on what you want to show. If you just want a sweeping all check marks shown as per the example, then the above is fine. If you need to just show check marks in response to user selections, then the extra steps required to build this in could be alleviated by access to the information from the Question Object - which I'm not sure we have :-?

Attached is a simple example of doing this with frames.

Mack

Interactive Solutions for Business & Education
Learn Anywhere. Learn Anytime.

www.interaktiv.co.uk
+44 (0) 1395 548057

For this message mackavi has been thanked by : Graham Baglin

Profile Visit website  

PostPosted: December 13th, 2012, 5:25 pm 
Godlike
Godlike

Opus: OpusPro v9.0x, & Evol.
System: Core 2 duo 2Ghz, RAM 3GB, Nvidia Go 7700 - laptop
mackavi wrote:
Hi Graham,
Lots of points :-)

2. That said - the grey background is a button property for the different button states. Button down changes the image and background on their respective tabs.
I'd like to add a little to that, it might save you some time or head-scratching Graham.

If you just look at an ordinary Button object, when you work with the Properties dialogue pay attention to two things (among others of course).
One is the options to set the type of button. I find Check-box type (push-on, push-off) very handy, and of course Radio Buttons have their uses.

The second thing, is as Mackavi mentions... the button states. I use these sometimes... handy to use a different Border for button-down state, or for mouse-over state. One thing to pay attention to when working with the states and changing attributes here -- SELECT the Normal button state when you are ready to leave the Properties dialog. Otherwise, the initial state of the button object might be different than you expect.

For this message Lar_123 has been thanked by : Graham Baglin, mackavi

PostPosted: December 13th, 2012, 11:32 pm 

Hi Lar and Mac

Thank you so very much for your time and advice. Much appreciated.

Mac - your example is exactly what I want.

I see - you create the vector object (a tick or a cross) and place it beside the before shuffle answer. Then you create a frame over both the button and vector object and then you shuffle the frames.

I think where Paul's anwer confused me was I tried to apply grouping objects but was unable to do that because the group objects function was greyed out. Spent a couple of hours trying lots of different things and became baffled.

I was thinking "how can I attach a cross or tick vector" to the answers and shuffle them and show the vector after the submit button was selected in the correct shuffled order? Then while trying to figure all of this out in bafflement, I was suddenly asked to go out late evening and retrieve a laughing kookaburra unfeathered eyes still shut baby, 30 minutes drive away that was found on the ground by somebody . Kookaburra baby is doing well this morning thus far.

I'll study your example some more Mac and try to recreate what you did shortly so I can learn.

Thanks again to you all including Paul

Cheers

Graham

PostPosted: December 14th, 2012, 10:56 am 
Godlike
Godlike

Anything for the kookaburra!

This might help:

Create the new frame and then right click and drag the button onto the new frame and select the insert into option from the content menu that pops up.

Mack

www.interaktiv.co.uk
+44 (0) 1395 548057

Profile Visit website  

PostPosted: December 14th, 2012, 11:13 pm 

Thanks Mack

Your last post turned the lightbulb on! Before that, inbetween hourly feeding I was all over the place.

Created a new page and then used the multi-response wizard and created a multi-repsonse question

Then followed your "insert into" instructions

The insert into command wouldn't work in the editor screen - the pop up menu came up OK but when the Insert into command was used, nothing happened.

But after creating the vector object and dragging the vector object off the editor screen onto the object screen the pop up menu appeared and it dropped in perfectly.

Sorry to report the kookaburra is struggling - has been handed over to an advanced carer so fingers crossed.

Thanks again Mack - I've learned something new that I didn't know one could do

Cheers as always

Graham
Edit
As an aside, Opus is an awesome software creation - there is always something new to learn or try!

PostPosted: December 15th, 2012, 3:19 am 
Godlike
Godlike

Quote:
The insert into command wouldn't work in the editor screen
Right-Click and "Insert Into" is ususally applicable to working within the Opus Organizer. I don't recall ever using it in the workspace screen.

For this message Lar_123 has been thanked by : mackavi

PostPosted: December 15th, 2012, 10:02 am 

Hi again Mack

How do you add text to the multi-selections to your example?

Adding text to ask the question is fine but adding text to each of the six possible answers in order for the test candidate to be able to choose the correct answers from the incorrect answers seems to be impossible.

The answer is probably simple :oops:

I won't detail all the things I've done to try to get text into the response frames in order to avoid total embarrassment.

I'll create something to emulate the wizard created on-screen display and functionality but it would be nice to know how to modify wizard produced question types.

Lar - I wouldn't have thought to work in anything other than the editor! Thank you for your comment because it demonstrates that there are different ways to create something that I wasn't aware of until now.

Thanking you both

Graham

PostPosted: December 15th, 2012, 12:24 pm 
Godlike
Godlike

That ones a little odd isn't it!

Find the corresponding button in the organiser tree and left click to select it.

It will then be highlighted on the page.

Carefully right click on the button on the page, and in the context menu you'll see 'edit text' near the bottom.

You'll then be able to edit the button text.

Mack

www.interaktiv.co.uk
+44 (0) 1395 548057

Profile Visit website  

PostPosted: December 15th, 2012, 8:40 pm 

Wow!

I would never have thought of doing that.

Thanks Mack

Cheers

Graham

PostPosted: December 16th, 2012, 6:00 am 
Godlike
Godlike

Re: working in the Opus Organizer
I should have mentioned, a very useful method is to Right-Click and Drag/Drop. That will bring up the context menu to let you select Copy Into or Insert Into. This is IMO the most reliable way to reorganize objects beyond simple Grouping/Ungrouping -- which also works very well in the Editor/workspace.

The above Rt-Clk, Drag etc is much more predictable than Copy & Paste into different Objects, whether Pages, Frames, Vectors.

For this message Lar_123 has been thanked by : mackavi

PostPosted: December 16th, 2012, 9:52 pm 

Thanks Lar

I agree - copy / paste does not always work.

One issue that I found with the multi-select wizard, is that while there is a limit retries selector where the creator ca choose how many times to allow a candidate to retry the question, I don't see how this can work just using the wizard on its own without further programming. After the submit button is pressed, the choices are disabled so the user cannot retry.

Also, it is possible for the user to select all the choices and in doing so, always score the maximum score no matter how many choices there are.

One possible way to get around this by deducting marks for wrong choices or you could perhaps (and I'm thinking out aloud here) add a variable (say +1) to each of the choices and only allow the user to actuially submit provided the sum of the variables equals the number of permitted choices. So if there were, for example, six choices, with each choice adding 1 to a variable, and the user had to select three, you could only allow the submit button to function if the sum of the variables equalled 3.

Knowing Opus, there would be other ways to get around this as well.

I wanted to bring this to aspect of being able to select everything to the attention of people using the wizards, (in this case the multi-select) as something to be mindful about.

Cheers

Graham

PostPosted: December 16th, 2012, 11:09 pm 
Godlike
Godlike

The limit retries works differently to how you might expect.

You can keep answering the question, after reloading the page, but your original score remains.

As for just selecting all the answers - yes, it does seem rather odd - but I always figure that Wizards are stepping stones to building better or custom versions. But no the setting of a negative score won't work (at least well) as unfortunately Opus totals both the positive and negative marks so a +1;+1;-1;-1 will result in a possible score of zero for the question :-)

Many moons ago, I wrote an application in Opus called IKIQ that allowed the client to use INI file question cards with a range of question types but solved some of the issues that you point out. Opus has come a long way since and it could be made better, but I still love it!

http://www.live.interaktiv.co.uk/index. ... &Itemid=19

Mack

www.interaktiv.co.uk
+44 (0) 1395 548057

Profile Visit website