Digital Workshop

Welcome to the Digital Workshop Message Boards
It is currently October 12th, 2024, 1:12 am

All times are UTC [ DST ]

Post subject: Your Input Wanted on Methods of Interactive Software Help
PostPosted: May 28th, 2014, 5:21 pm 

Hello,
I'm a long time user of Opus Pro but haven't used it all for the last couple of years, no fault of Opus, but because my clients have no need for interactive pubs at this time.
I come to you today asking for input from anyone who uses Opus Pro for software user assistance purposes.
For a certain client, I used Opus Pro to create interactive tutorials that simulated working in their software product. We don't use those anymore. For years and years, i have been searching for technology that would allow me to create interactive guides that work with the client's software itself, rather than a simulation of the software. Picture this: pointers (such as arrows), callouts and captions that display on an invisible layer on top of the software and guide the user step-by-step through the process he is trying to perform in the software. Services like WalkMe now exist, but for websites and web apps, not for desktop applications, which is what I would need.
A few years back, I tried to create such a system in Opus Pro. I was actually able to create a basic system that worked, using invisible page backgrounds, hotspots, variables, etc. But it was very restrictive, because clients would have to have their screen resolutions set at a certain size and they couldn't drag their windows around or the hotspots on the invisible overlays wouldn't be positioned correctly.

Anyway, I eventually gave up on the idea, and today I thought I'd pop in here and ask if any of you have been able to create anything similar to what I wanted using Opus Pro. If not, I'd sure love to hear about any interesting methods you folks might have employed in the area of interactive help or guided help using Opus.

Thanks,
Michael

For this message mbain has been thanked by : mackavi

Post subject: Re: Your Input Wanted on Methods of Interactive Software Hel
PostPosted: May 30th, 2014, 1:26 am 

Opus: Opus Pro Latest version 9.02 Build 16458
System: Asus laptop Intel Core i5 8 gig ram, big monitor, reading glasses
Hi Michael

Probably some ten years ago now, I created an interactive simulated foreign exchange software for a client, who had a contract with a large global company. The software was intended to be used by students and because the software would be a simulation and offline, there was no chance of accidental real time transactions occurring.

The interactive used actual screen captures from the global company and from a series of screens, an offline and therefore safe, foreign exchange software copy was built, using invisable layers and the techniques you describe. There were two parts to this. The first part was an interactive training module that taught a student how to use the global software. The second part was a simulator that allowed the teacher to input some current foreign exchange rates and then have the student do exercises that replicated the real thing.

Anyway, the project was 'finished' and submitted to my client. The big manager of the client company, wanted significant cosmetic colour change and layout changes to the interactive training module. Apparently, the person that I was extensively communicating with over a period of some seven months did not have the say so that I thought they had. Whether they had ever shown the 'real decision' maker progress as it was sent to them, is a moot point.

It got ugly from that point especially when the big boss demanded the changes be made over one weekend, the weekend of my daughters wedding. I refused. The legal side might have gotten messy and expensive had I not sold the development to them for a small token amount. Of course, their own experts were unable to figure out how the interactives were created, and they ended up publishing a workbook with screen capture graphics. No interactiveness whatsoever.

The lessons learned was 1. Make sure the person you contract with actually has the authority to made design decisions. 2. Always ask for a detailed design brief, in writing before commencing any project. 3. Get everything in writing. If decisions are made verbally ask for confirmation in writing. 4. I admire immensely those who manage to make a living doing software development - it is not for the faint hearted. 5. Opus makes this type of development very easy but there is a long computing apprenticeship required and you need friends on a forum like this.

Since then, I've just done small interactives for my students and some voluntary work for a wildlife rescue organisation.

Cheers

Graham

For this message Graham Baglin has been thanked by : mac, mackavi

Post subject: Re: Your Input Wanted on Methods of Interactive Software Hel
PostPosted: May 30th, 2014, 2:59 pm 

Graham,
Thank you for sharing your experience with me. I wish it wasn't an unpleasant experience. It taught you some valuable lessons, and we can benefit from that as well. I can't believe the guy demanded your work on your daughter's wedding day. Ridiculous. I have a client who often emails me for minor things on Sunday, so I wait until first thing Monday morning so that they won't think I'm i the habit of working on Sundays.

I had at one point considered creating a clone of my client's software, as well, but dismissed the idea because: (1) The software was very complicated, and (2) I wanted a solution for "at the point of need" interactive guided help rather than a training tool.

But you sound like me; someone who thinks outside the box and tries to come up with innovations that will "change the world"

For this message mbain has been thanked by : mackavi