Digital Workshop

Welcome to the Digital Workshop Message Boards
It is currently October 16th, 2024, 5:28 pm

All times are UTC [ DST ]

Post subject: Radio button problem with v 9.50
PostPosted: October 6th, 2014, 2:31 pm 

Opus: Opus Profesional v8.07
System: Intel Pentium III Xeon, 4 gb
I have just upgraded to Opus Pro 9.5 and have immediately found a problem on an application I have been working on that was not there with version 8 that I was using until today.

Each page has a vertical row of radio buttons which simply select a particular frame in a multiframe to be visible. Only the top button is set to “Initially down” and should therefore show the “Button Down” colour on opening the page. However, when previewing, on going to any page it is actually the last button which shows the “Button Down” colour, rather than the first one, although the correct frame in the multiframe is displayed. In addition, if I select for example the third radio button, it works correctly and changes to the “Button Down” colour, but if I leave that page and later return to it that button is still displaying the “Button Down” colour, rather than the first button which actually has “Initially down” set.

This change has only happened since today's update to version 9.50 and everything was working perfectly yesterday.

For this message Richard Wright has been thanked by : mackavi

Post subject: Re: Radio button problem with v 9.50
PostPosted: October 7th, 2014, 8:30 am 
Godlike
Godlike

Opus: Evolution
They've changed. Read the help topic Understanding Radio Buttons for information on how to reset their state.

Mack

Interactive Solutions for Business & Education
Learn Anywhere. Learn Anytime.

www.interaktiv.co.uk
+44 (0) 1395 548057

Profile Visit website  

PostPosted: October 7th, 2014, 9:45 am 

Well, I've read the "Understanding Radio Buttons" topic again but I'm not much the wiser.

I'm hoping that someone can tell me what I need to do or if I have to rethink completely.

This is my "magnum opus" which I have been working on for 5 years in spare hours, it has hundreds of pages each of which work (or worked!!) in exactly the same way so I'm pretty annoyed already about this issue.

PostPosted: October 7th, 2014, 11:12 am 
Godlike
Godlike

Well it suggests that by setting the RADIO_GROUP_nn_ID variable to the option you require - should activate that option. But it only sets the variable which is not what a linked variable would normally do for a button :-(

I'd email DW support if you want to use this method before the public release of 9.5. Alternatively, use the script command .SetState(true) for the button of your choice .

Mack

www.interaktiv.co.uk
+44 (0) 1395 548057

Profile Visit website  

PostPosted: October 7th, 2014, 12:06 pm 

Thanks Mack

I've now found the information in the Help "Important note's for existing users" which is clearer than the "Understanding Radio Buttons".

"If you have problems with radio buttons being set when you’re not expecting them to be – simply give each set of buttons a unique index number even if they are on different pages and make sure the relevant RADIO_GROUP variables are reset when required................. "

It's the use of "simply" which makes me laugh, this publication has over 1900 pages of which I guess about 1500 have similar sets of buttons, up to 20 in a set, not a "simple" job to go through every page. Annoyingly, the Actions all seem to work OK, it's only the Properties which cause problems.

I'll contact DW support, though I doubt if it will help.

Richard

PostPosted: October 7th, 2014, 3:24 pm 

Opus: v7.04
System: Dell Inspiron 560 Quad Core 2.5Ghz 4Gb RAM, 1Tb HD, HP laptop and various others
Don't forget you can apply properties to multiple objects - so you can select all the buttons in a single group and update them all at once. Use the "Next" button alongside the Radio Group ID for Opus to assign the next available.

You could also try copying and pasting each page in turn and if you're very lucky Opus will assign the next radio button ID to that group. Might not work, I haven't got anything to hand which is as old as your publication but seemed to work for an old v8 publication so worth a try perhaps.

Apologies for the hassle but sometimes we have to make changes which are not as backward compatible as we'd like. Among other things the change allows master page radio buttons to work effectively.

Paul

For this message Paul Harris has been thanked by : mackavi

Profile Visit website  

PostPosted: October 7th, 2014, 4:14 pm 

Paul Harris wrote:
Don't forget you can apply properties to multiple objects - so you can select all the buttons in a single group and update them all at once. Use the "Next" button alongside the Radio Group ID for Opus to assign the next available.

I've tried doing this on some trial pages but it makes no difference. Although I've allocated new Radio Group ids using the Next button, when I leave that page, then return to it, the button that was showing the “button down” colour is still showing it, rather than the button which has "Initially Down" set. Is there something else I need to do apart from allocating the new Radio Group ids?

The other workaround I've tried is simply to remove the “Modify colour” properties from the buttons so that they stay the same in appearance whatever. This works OK, though it does change the look, not a huge problem. It does mean that all of the Radio Group ids on every page are still set to 1, though. As the actions still seem to work (it was always only the properties that were a problem) should this be OK? Whatever, it will be many hours of work to change them all.

PostPosted: October 7th, 2014, 4:50 pm 
Godlike
Godlike

Any chance you've used a standard naming convention.

The first radio option on each page is called option1, then option2 - etc, etc...

Mack

www.interaktiv.co.uk
+44 (0) 1395 548057

Profile Visit website  

PostPosted: October 7th, 2014, 5:33 pm 

I think I see your point. I do have a few pages with more than one set of radio buttons and it seems that the Radio Group IDs up to 5 are "occupied". I've started renumbering using 6 upwards, have gone up to 20 so far, and everything seems to work OK. I guess it's not such a big hassle to just select each group and use the Next button to allocate the ID automatically. Quite a relief.
Many thanks for your help.
Richard