Welcome to the Digital Workshop Message Boards
It is currently October 19th, 2024, 11:19 am

All times are UTC [ DST ]

Post subject: How to get my variable to replace all spaces with underscore
PostPosted: June 5th, 2015, 2:27 pm 

Opus: Opus 9.5
System: Intel Core i7 3.6Ghz
Good day,

I am trying to create a table with the users name and idnumber as the name of the table, the code works fine except when the user's name got a space somewhere then no table will be created in MSACCESS (I don't know why), do anybody know the solution to this problem, or how can I force the "loginuser" to leave out all the spaces or be replaced by a underscore

Code:
var myDB = new Database("FILEDSN=C:\\Backup\\CBT\\Published\\J281 Ross Operators\\Data\\database.dsn");
myDB.ExecuteSQL("CREATE TABLE " + loginuser + "_" + loginidnumber + "  (street varchar(15))");

Please help.

For this message Matra has been thanked by : mackavi

Post subject: Re: How to get my variable to replace all spaces with unders
PostPosted: June 15th, 2015, 2:20 pm 

Opus: Opus Pro v9.75
System: HP xw660 Server 32GB RAM, Toshiba Satellite Laptop
Your question has been sitting here for a while so I thought that I would resolve it today. The attached example is self-explanatory and shows two solutions to your 'no spaces in the name problem':

1. let the user enter the text naturally, then remove with a tiny amount of script as shown in the example when you press the button.

2. in the input box untick the 'allow special characters option'. The disadvantage is that hyphenated names won't show either, but if the user knows that no spaces are allowed in the user name this should only result in mild grumblings from those with double-barreled names. :roll:

It is good practice to put an instruction to the user asking them not to enter spaces, then you simply trap for the typing errors they will inevitably make. :D

If you have any further queries please post them here and we'll be happy to help.

Paul

You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.

For this message pc_amethyst has been thanked by : mackavi