Digital Workshop

Welcome to the Digital Workshop Message Boards
It is currently May 18th, 2024, 1:42 pm

All times are UTC [ DST ]

Post subject: Online Opus gallery
PostPosted: July 13th, 2006, 5:59 pm 

Opus: 7
We've recently converted some of our presentations to flash video, in order to run on the web.

They give potential clients a chance to see how much better than Powerpoint their presentation materials could be!

(The examples are all made with Opus Pro XE 5. The website is standard html)

http://www.rossiterandco.com/Multimedia ... allery.htm

Pro 8, Pro 7, Pro 6, Pro 05.5XE, Pro 04XE, XE2.8, ILM 4.5 on Win7 Professional

For this message Linda has been thanked by : mackavi

Last edited by Linda on July 14th, 2006, 10:18 am, edited 1 time in total.

Profile Visit website  

Post subject:
PostPosted: July 14th, 2006, 1:55 am 
Hi Linda

The site looks impressive.

That said, your example (and others like it) raises a perennial concern that I have had about using these types of displays on the web. I accept that what I experience might be local to my setup, but I found the times needed to download files were too long to retain the interests of potential clients. I've encountered similar situations with other sites based on Opus. Please note that I am just using your site as an example because it is the latest I have tried.

I don't have the fastest broadband connection with a 512 download speed. It took just under seven minutes to download the home page. The first example I clicked on had not appeared after 6 minutes, although the bar indicated that it was still loading. The next example downloaded and ran after five minutes.

If my experience is typical, I have concerns that clients will be prepared to wait that long for the information I want them to see.

I'm very interested in knowing what type of loading times others have experienced with Linda's and similar sites, because if the issue is local to me, I need to do some serious tweaking.

Post subject:
PostPosted: July 14th, 2006, 6:36 am 

Hey Ray, hope things are well with you.

The main page is pretty big, about 400k but on my simulated dialup program set at 56k it only took 10 seconds for the main page to load. While that is a little long nothing like the 6 minutes that it took you at a reported higher speed. Something must be very wrong with your connection or computer. BTW the main page is not really Opus created. From what I see only a few of the animations are.

Here is a really great site for finding out how good your computer is and the internet speed you are getting up and down. Look in the first paragraph and click the 'full PC tuneup' button. This does not actually tune up the computer but does give a full report on all aspects of your machine.
http://www.pcpitstop.com/

For this message Evereddie has been thanked by : mackavi

Post subject:
PostPosted: July 14th, 2006, 6:47 am 
Thanks for that info.

I'm not sure where or what the problem might be. I connect to many sites each day and they load almost instantaneously. I can download 100MB is a few minutes. To me that suggests that my connections are OK. This is the only site where I have encountered such delays.

I have no settings in firewalls, etc that should cause this.

I'm please for Linda's sake that someone can access her site efficiently. Hate to see that work wasted.

I guess it's back to the drawing board.

Post subject:
PostPosted: July 14th, 2006, 7:34 am 

Ray, go to the site in the previous post and go to internet tests. Use the 'trace route' to Linda's site and see where there might be a slow down.

For this message Evereddie has been thanked by : mackavi

Post subject:
PostPosted: July 14th, 2006, 10:01 am 

Linda,

Very nice.

Ray,

I have loaded the home page on two different machines, both have different connections and in both cases the front page has loaded without any delay.

The example videos have also loaded up in a couple of seconds.

From what I see the home page is standard html (not Opus produced) and the videos are flash movies. The source is Opus but the videos are either from screen capture or Flash conversion of an Opus Video.

Regards
Brenden Knifton ddww

For this message Brenden Knifton has been thanked by : mackavi

Profile Visit website  

Post subject:
PostPosted: July 14th, 2006, 10:22 am 

Sorry,

I should have been clearer in my original message.

Brendon's right... the whole of our website is all html / asap. W've never used anything else.

The website is designed primarily for UK corporations to look at, using broadband.

Our company (amongst other things) make Opus presentations to run from CD or hard drive.

We're always being asked for examples of these presentations. Rather than keep posting CDs, we used Camtasia to capture parts of the presentations, then exported them to flash video format.

The flash videos were then streamed from a flash server.

There's nothing special or unusual about any of it, and our analytics show that plenty of people are looking at it.

Ray, we're getting people looking at these files all the time, and I guarantee they wouldn't wait 10 minutes to do so. It would well be worth checking your connectoin.

Profile Visit website  

Post subject:
PostPosted: July 14th, 2006, 4:19 pm 

Sentosa wrote:
I'm very interested in knowing what type of loading times others have experienced with Linda's and similar sites, because if the issue is local to me, I need to do some serious tweaking.

This may be an AUS - UK pipe thing. I'm on 2MB broadband in the UK and use a few Australian sites fairly regularly but find they usually take much longer than others (in the US and Europe) to load. It's a long way!

For this message andrewq has been thanked by : mackavi

Post subject:
PostPosted: July 14th, 2006, 5:32 pm 

You could try this:

Go to your Start button and select run

Type cmd
and hit ok

This will open a command line.

Type

tracert www.digitalworkshop.com

Replace www.digitalworkshop.com with the slow domain and you will get a breakdown of were the conections are being made and where any bottlenecks are.

You may be surprised just how far your data goes to get to you even from a UK site.

Hope this helps

Brenden Knifton ddww

PS a search on google for "tracert dos" should get you more information on how to better read the results of the trace route.

For this message Brenden Knifton has been thanked by : mackavi

Profile Visit website  

Post subject:
PostPosted: July 16th, 2006, 1:57 pm 

Hello all,

After Rays initial comments I too went and looked at Linda's site (the demo's look great). I am using a 1.5mb connection from Melbourne, Australia - I did not have an issue with the loading of the html page, however loading the flash files I experienced delays from 40 seconds through to 120 seconds and the second example (Corporate Presentation) would not load at all.

For those that are interested a trace back to Digital Workshop's site was 22 hops via the US and to Linda's site was 16 also via the US.

Reagrds

Don

Kingsmere Pty Ltd

For this message KPL has been thanked by : mackavi

Post subject: Online Opus gallery
PostPosted: November 15th, 2009, 9:02 am 
So like....how do you get it online? Because I keep getting these "missing" files after I right click it.

- MegamanC

Post subject:
PostPosted: November 15th, 2009, 11:21 am 

MegamanC,

This thread is pretty old, so urls might have changed - can you confirm which link you're following?

Or is it your own files you're trying to get online?

Linda

Profile Visit website