Digital Workshop

Welcome to the Digital Workshop Message Boards
It is currently October 9th, 2024, 3:24 pm

All times are UTC [ DST ]

Post subject: Email in Dx Exclusive?
PostPosted: January 31st, 2005, 6:07 am 

In Opus Pro 04 XE, if you create a "DirectX Exclusive" publication, is it no longer possible to create an action that opens an e-mail program? (My recent Dx-Exclusive pub offers only "post web data" as an action for selection under the "Launch" group of actions.)

If indeed Dx-Exclusive cannot launch e-mail, is this a bug or is there a logical reason for this that eludes me? (And is there an Opus Script workaround?)

I've found the Dx-Exclusive to be the absolute best at video playback quality, and would prefer not to sacrifice this quality in order to be able to launch e-mail.

Also: I cannot find in the manuals or Help file one central location that lists the specific limitations imposed by selecting Dx-Exclusive (or Flex, etc.). Do such lists exist? If so, can someone point me toward them?

For this message R. Gengerke has been thanked by : mackavi

Post subject:
PostPosted: January 31st, 2005, 2:32 pm 

Hi,

Thank you for your enquiry.

The 'Overview of Publication Types' article in the help file states the following about the DirectX Exclusive mode:

Opus Pro 04 Help File wrote:
There are limitations with this option: only one publication of this type can by running at a time on a users machine; the Window and Layout tabs in the Publication Properties dialog are not available because you cannot run the publication in a window or have multiple windows open.

The DirectX Exclusive mode therefore disables any tools or actions which launch additional windows (such as the Launch E-mail action) or embed secondary windows within a frame (such as the DocView and Browser objects).

One workaround would be to use the Post Web Data action to send the recipients e-mail address, subject and body of the e-mail as variables to a PHP file on your web server. This PHP file would then use the mail() function to generate an e-mail containing the specified subject and body information and send it to the specified recipient.

However, this assumes that PHP is installed on your web server and correctly configured to allow the sending of mail via SMTP. Please see http://www.sitepoint.com/article/advanced-email-php if you need help configuring your php.ini file to allow this.

If you are certain that your web server is correctly configured, please use the following procedure:

Launch Notepad (Start > Programs > Accessories > Notepad, then copy and paste the following information into the blank text file:

Code:
<?php
$email = $_REQUEST['email'];
$subject = $_REQUEST['subject'];
$message = $_REQUEST['message'];
mail($email, $subject, $message);
?>

Click File > Save As and save the file with the filename 'mail.php'.

Once saved, please upload the 'mail.php' to the document root of your web server (usually the location where your site's index page is located).

Once the file is uploaded, launch Opus Pro 04 and create a brand new publication in DirectX Exclusive mode. Now add three text input boxes to the page, with the first box storing input into a new variable named 'email', the second storing information to a variable named 'subject' and the third storing information to a variable named 'message'.

Add a button to the page and apply a 'Post Web Data' action. In the Address field, type http:// followed by your domain name, followed by a forward slash and 'mail.php'. For example, I used the following:

http://www.digitalworkshop.com/mail.php

although you will need to alter this to point to your domain name.

Now select the 'Multiple Fields' option and click the 'Add' button three times to create three parameters. Rename these three parameters to 'email', 'subject' and 'message'. Now assign each of these parameters to the variables of the same name. The dialog box should look like the following:

Now confirm the changes by clicking Apply and OK, then publish the project to a standalone executable and test the result.

In the first input field, input your e-mail address, then type whatever you like into the second and third input fields. Once all fields are populated, click the button and, after a few moments, the e-mail should appear in your inbox.

I agree that there is very little documentation about the benefits and limitations of the DirectX Exclusive mode and have asked our technical author to address this in the next revision of the help files. However, the help file does provide a very detailed list of features which are not supported in Opus Flex, which you can view by launching the help file, selecting the Search tab and searching for 'flex'. The twelfth article in the list should be named 'List of unsupported features in Opus Flex' and shows all of the actions, transitions and functions which cannot be exported to Flash.

I hope this helps. Please do not hesitate to contact me if you have any further queries.

Kind regards,

For this message Robin Garrett has been thanked by : mackavi

Profile Visit website  

Post subject: Re: Email in Dx Exclusive?
PostPosted: January 12th, 2014, 4:11 am 

Opus: 8.12 (V9 purchased but not yet installed)
Just put this into one of my pubs (not sure what Dx Exclusive mode means) and it appears to work perfectly.

For this message rick@ifs has been thanked by : mackavi