Digital Workshop

Welcome to the Digital Workshop Message Boards
It is currently October 6th, 2024, 3:21 pm

All times are UTC [ DST ]

Post subject: Multiple monitors
PostPosted: June 14th, 2010, 9:16 am 

Opus: v 7.04
Are any of you authoring pubs for multiple screens?
My institution is going to be installing multiple touch screens in public spaces. I've looked at the help files about using Opus to manage multiple monitors from a single PC and am optimistic about being able to deliver content to these screens.
But-
What cables will need to be installed - can I assume the people supplying the monitors will be using an industry standard cabling system?
Do I need a separate graphics card for each monitor?
If I have 6 monitors running some touch screen pubs and some promotional pubs or video, is my CPU going to be able to cope?

thanks in advance...
Mac

Post subject: Re: Multiple monitors
PostPosted: June 14th, 2010, 11:36 pm 

I'm going to rephrase my question more thoughtfully...
with 6 monitors conected I expect I can only deliver video to one of them, and get mouse input from one of them at the same time.
Hopefully I can run promotional slideshow presentations simultaneously on the other 4.
Does this make sense? (I don't see how the PC can get mouse input from more than one touchscreen).
Could I run the same video on more than one screen simultaneously or will I start getting smoke coming out of my CPU?
All responses covering other related issues welcome....

PostPosted: June 15th, 2010, 12:13 am 
Godlike
Godlike

Opus: Evolution
Hi Mac,

You can play video in a multimonitor configuration and the CPU won't explode - but depending on the video specification will depend on the playback quality. MPG1 uses lower overhead - whereas MPG4 requires a lot more computing power. The large the video (resolution) and bit rate will play influence this as well because it has to decode more for each frame.

Mack

Interactive Solutions for Business & Education
Learn Anywhere. Learn Anytime.

www.interaktiv.co.uk
+44 (0) 1395 548057

Profile Visit website  

PostPosted: October 3rd, 2010, 11:54 am 

Opus: Opus Pro Edition 9.51
System: Acer Aspire V touch screen edition 4G RAM
Hi Mac..

For all the time Ive been on this forum at last somone comes up with an in-depth question I CAN answer lol! :lol: - I work in multi-screen quite a lot actually, and Im glad to " give back " as it were.

Firstly, if your going to have 6 ( output monitors ) you must remember that your actually going to need (7) monitors ( because one of them has to be the menu )

The configuration ( I have here on the desk ) is my development system comprising of four 24" Benq monitors. [ model H2220HD ].

Next, you should consider your video card carfully. - Im currently using 2 NVIDIA GeForce 9800GT cards....this creatures really are rock solid and have some grunt.

The 9800GT ALSO has what you need for very crisp output because EACH card has a single VGA output and 2 HDMI outputs ( I choose to stick to using the HDMI outputs only because of the higher quality ) - since Im using 2 9800 GT cards....theirs my 4 output monitors , all working in HDMI!

A SPECIAL WORD REGARDING CABLES and limitations:

Eventhough HDMI is a far better quality to work with than VGA - both VGA an HDMI DO have limitations......this is the signal strength. after a particular point, your output signal will start to degrade in quality because of the length of the cable between the output monitor and the PC. ( its sort of like the signal is running out of steam ).

There IS however a few solutions to the problem. - After MUCH trial and error, I have managed to run multiple monitors up to a distance of 150 meters ( from wall plug, across internal ceilings, and down to the other wall plug without an issue ) - and for any of you out there that think this is just a case of adding a signal booster, - its not.

A booster will just amplify a bad initial signal - there is more to this than meets the eye. Drop me an e-mail and Ill see if I can help in comming up with a configuration. ( depending on how far between your monitors, and your PC this is going to be - as well as what electrical energy will be in proximity to your cables. )

Now, the system? - Im currently using an Intel Quad -Core CPU at 2.6 Ghz with 4GIG's of RAM, ( thats plenty big enough to handle video and multiple outputs ).

I HAVE connected a small touch screen monitor ( 8.5 inch ) to one of the VGA outputs and used the software provided, as well as a USB cable as the actual " input interface " - and run my menu program.....the results were impressive.

As for Video? - I have found that I can run an MPEG 1 movie on any of the monitors without an issue to the overall performance of the program.

In realation to your coment:
Quote:
I don't see how the PC can get mouse input from more than one touchscreen
....let me just say this - although Ive only tried this on a single touchscreen...it stands to reason that so long as the touch screens were the same, and all ran off the same drivers....then logic dictates that ANY input ( remembering that these are connected to USB cable that plugs into your computer anyway ) -then ANY command from ANY touch screen would ALL go to the SAME PC.....and be processed regardless. ( I may be wrong here, but I think not ).

Hope this helps...

Cheers!. :wink:

PostPosted: October 4th, 2010, 11:03 am 

Thank you for your reply- my problem is still a little way down the track but I'll note your reply and get back to you for help when the time comes.
Having such a friendly forum is as valuable as having such a great product to work with!
cheers
Mac