Digital Workshop

Welcome to the Digital Workshop Message Boards
It is currently October 7th, 2024, 9:21 am

All times are UTC [ DST ]

Post subject: To videos simultaneously for subtiles on and off.
PostPosted: August 17th, 2010, 3:39 pm 

Opus: Creator v9 Opus v7
I have two videos playing simultaneously, the one without subs "on top" and the one with subs "on khroma key" and the "sound mute" so both sounds don’t overlap.
Is there any way of creating actions in a button, so I can "hide" the video on top, an I would see the one with subs but with de sound of the one on top, and "show" again the one on top if I don’t want the subtitles?
The normal options "hide" and "show" don’t work for that, they just stop the video (and the sound on it).
Thanks

For this message Isma has been thanked by : mackavi

Post subject: Re: To videos simultaneously for subtiles on and off.
PostPosted: August 17th, 2010, 6:59 pm 
Godlike
Godlike

Opus: Evolution
Set both to rendered and then use the set layer function to switch between the two.

Mack

BTW - add your OPUS version to your profile.

Interactive Solutions for Business & Education
Learn Anywhere. Learn Anytime.

www.interaktiv.co.uk
+44 (0) 1395 548057

For this message mackavi has been thanked by : Isma

Profile Visit website  

Post subject: Two video simultaneously = bad idea
PostPosted: August 18th, 2010, 2:26 pm 

Opus: 7.05
System: P4 3.2GHz 1GB RAM 2-TB HDs + 4 more
Trying to run two (2) videos at the same time is a recipe for a disaster. Unless these are very short (small) videos, and you are always sure your viewers have powerful computers plus they will be watching from a hard drive (not a CD-ROM), (videos use the most resources - RAM & processing), you are running the risk of being out of sync, stuttering, or just won't play. If you have been testing on your computer's hard drive, and the final product will run from a CD-ROM, you should Publish and test in that environment. Even then, some CD-ROM drives run better than others. Notebook computers usually have their CD-ROMs idle after an initial load to conserve battery life. This will mean a long pause while the CD-ROM drive spins back up to full speed to read two videos. I'm speaking from experience. Learn from my mistakes!

Solution:
I recommend you have the viewer make an initial decision to either watch 1) the video with sub titles, or 2) the video without sub titles. Only one video will have to run then.

For this message demofred has been thanked by : mackavi

Profile Visit website  

PostPosted: August 18th, 2010, 6:37 pm 
Godlike
Godlike

Fred's right - it's a numbers game.

I ran the following:

Two identical 20mins segments extracted from a DVD - one with subs, one without. These were transcoded to MPEG1 at 720x576 at 1700kbps using Mainconcept's codec. Both were added as rendered video to Opus, with the sub-titled version overlaying the other and its audio muted. Two simple play commands were used to run the videos together. The file was published with the videos not embedded.

The test machine was a five year old laptop - Pentium M 1.8Ghz with 1GB of RAM with a 5400rpm hard-drive.

The sound remained in sync for the whole 20 mins and the playback / quality was acceptable for a basic publication.

As the designer, you aim for a publication that operates within the limitations of your client's hardware and never make the mistake of designing and testing on the same machine! What is acceptable and what is a basic publication is up to you to decide.

Mack

www.interaktiv.co.uk
+44 (0) 1395 548057

Profile Visit website  

PostPosted: August 19th, 2010, 2:52 pm 

Opus: Creator v9 Opus v7
Set both to rendered and then use the set layer function to switch between the two.

Sorry to bother you Mack, but still can´t get it.
If I have both videos rendered I can´t see them when playing. Only with one on top seems to work.
"To set the layer function", Do you mean to have one video in one Layer and the other one in other layer with the rest of the objects of the page?
I tried that but when I use a button to show or hide the 2nd layer if doesn´t work.
i would appreciate if you can help me on this.
Isma

For this message Isma has been thanked by : mackavi

PostPosted: August 19th, 2010, 4:48 pm 
Godlike
Godlike

Hi Isma,

I think you might be use the layers palette in the bottom left. This do nothing in published / preview mode.

Simply place the two videos over each other and use the action animation > move to layer.

Select the video that is above the other video and set its layer to -4.

To move it back just set the layer for the same video to 4.

Mack

www.interaktiv.co.uk
+44 (0) 1395 548057

Profile Visit website