Digital Workshop

Welcome to the Digital Workshop Message Boards
It is currently October 3rd, 2024, 6:27 pm

All times are UTC [ DST ]

Post subject: Re: Barcode question
PostPosted: November 15th, 2010, 7:25 am 

Opus: 9.75
System: Asus i7-7700K 16Gb
a quick check, start any application like textpad, or word, excel. any application where you would type in information, find any barcode. Make it the active window. then scan!! the ISBN code on a book is a good check, point the scanner at it and pull the trigger, it should beep and the data read from the bar code. You may have to change the distance between the scanner and bar code.

Don't scan any of the codes in the manual, it may set it to a strange mode.

What language is the instructions in?

For this message sandyn has been thanked by : mackavi

PostPosted: November 15th, 2010, 8:35 am 

Opus: Opus Pro Edition 9.51
System: Acer Aspire V touch screen edition 4G RAM
G-day mate! :shock: wow! quick reply...AWSOME!...
Ok, I did as instructed: I opened my notepad, grabbed a barcode that I printed out a little earlier on this afternoon onto a sheet of A4...and pulled the trigger........BINGO!!!

:D - it works! ( BIG cheesy grin here )..

Regards to the manual? I believe its in chinese ( nothing in english....including the BOX it came in ).

Ok, here are some stats on the thing...

1) Its USB

2) Hand held / with stand, - can read one trigger pull at at time ( once only - then it ignores the same code again ) or every time you pull the trigger it will read or re-read it.. - OR on full auto ( just wave a bar code in range and it bleeps ).

3) it will read the following codes: UPC-A, UPC-E, industrial 2 of 5, EAN8, EAN13, CODE 128, EAN128, CODE 39, CODE 93, and codebar 125.

Ok, - so now I feel like a toddler about to try their first wobbly steps....

but its lookin great so far!
whats next?

Cheers! :D

For this message Viper4054 has been thanked by : mackavi

PostPosted: November 15th, 2010, 9:24 am 

It scans barcodes you printed, so you shouldn't need the manual. Sometimes you have to set the scanner up to read different code types, if there are bar codes in the manual, several on one page, then that's how you would do it, but if it works for your purposes, then don't change anything :-)

If you need the manual translated from Chinese...I can get it done...as long as it's not huge :-). Technical translation from Chinese can be akward.
Sandy

PostPosted: November 15th, 2010, 9:40 am 

Forgot to say...next is to get your Opus application developed. The scanner will work with Opus, or any application you would type data into. In Opus, create a text input box, with the focus set on the input box. Scan a barcode and the information will be entered...
Next you want the action of scanning to do something in Opus, so you have to attach a trigger to the text input box, but the scanner automatically generates an ENTER when it reads a barcode, so to set the input box trigger to the enter key, .... TRIGGERS....ADVANCED.....KEY PRESS...SPECIFIC KEY. click on the box which says NONE then press the 'ENTER' key and the box will show ENTER, so now when you read a bar code, it will automatically create an Opus trigger, then you use the trigger to look up your file/database for the data which was just entered.

PostPosted: February 22nd, 2011, 12:38 am 

Hi all!
Sorry to take so long to replay its been a heck of a time here with funerals, floods and other things I havent had time to scratch my head let alone think of Opus till now. NOW! where am I up to with the scanner project you may ask....

So far, I have a fully functional hand scanner that works a treat, and have a rather boring interface ( but looks can at this stage of the game isn't the issue ). - what Ive managed to do thus far, is create a folder named "DATA" and within that folder I created another called.. "NAME1".

Inside the folder called "name1" I have a variable called TAG001. When I scan the code representing TAG001 the e result is shown in the correct position.
So, if "Johnny" is the name typed in and saved to represent TAG001 the the name "Johnny" will appear on the screen.
That's as far as I've got so far. - If you can figure out an easier way to do this please feel free to let me know but all in all, I have the thing running.

I'm looking forward to any help I can still get on this one, there's always room for improvement - and the ability to speak out the name of the code or the Information that it represents would be AWSOME like myself, kids would love that kind of feature :lol:

Cheers people!

PostPosted: February 22nd, 2011, 10:08 am 

For text to speech, check out Text Aloud http://www.nextup.com/index.html?source ... bgod4xQZdQ I have used that for all my talking opus applications and it works very well. You simply copy text to the clipboard and text aloud converts the clipboard text to speech. In Opus you use the copy to clipboard action.
There are other TTS systems (free), which are worth looking at as well.
You are better using a database for your application. You could use an Excel spreadsheet and database actions. Nice and simple way to get started.
Do you have Excel?

Sandy

PostPosted: February 25th, 2011, 12:33 pm 

Thanks for the info Sandyn - with regards to Excel....( believe it or ot )...I have no concept of Microsoft office I steer clear of it as much as possible.

cheers! :)

PostPosted: February 27th, 2011, 11:55 pm 

I have a very basic demo for you using a CSV file, but there is a problem with the file query which I'll have to investigate :-)

PostPosted: February 28th, 2011, 12:43 am 

Got the problem of database access sorted, but before I can send the file, I need to know where you will save the imp, so I can make the program reference the the same path.
Sandy

PostPosted: March 1st, 2011, 3:02 pm 

Thanks so much Sandyn...would it be possible to store it on the "C" drive in a directory called " DBDAT "?
Again, thanks sooo much for your help with this.....

PostPosted: March 1st, 2011, 11:30 pm 

OK.
attached is a ZIP file. put it in the C drive and unzip. The files should be extracted to a directory "DBDAT"....hopefully.
My program is called childminder2....the zip contains everything you need to run the program. It contains the database file Document1.csv, the DSN (childminder.dsn) the imp file childminder2.imp and the backups etc.

The program contains two pages. First page allows you to query the database. You just need to enter a number, then press enter and it should find the name (or you can just scan a barcode for the number). I have cheated a bit with the text to speech. if you enter 1, or 2, it will read out the names, but because you don't have text to speech, I just used audio files generated from Text Aloud.

Page 2 allows you to add a new person to the database.

Because it hasn't been fully error trapped, it will probably be easy to do something which stops it working. The most likely cause if the database becomes corrupt, but it's easy to fix.

the database already has 17 entries, the format of the file is:

Index,Surname,Firstname,Tel
1,"Smith","John","98798798"
2,"Dan","Desperate","34435"
3,"black","Ron","1234565"3
4,"Duck","Donald","43523452"

You can open it with a text editor and if some of the entries have missing fields, then just delete the bad entries. Another thing which can break it is if the Index has missing entries.
The best thing is to try running it and see.

You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.