Digital Workshop

Welcome to the Digital Workshop Message Boards
It is currently October 1st, 2024, 4:47 pm

All times are UTC [ DST ]

Post subject: System Variables fubared
PostPosted: June 28th, 2012, 2:02 pm 

Opus: 8
System: Dell Precision T5500, 8 core Dual Xeon 2.13 GHz, 24 GB RAM, All SSD drives
It appears the system variables for <SYSTEM_WIN_DIR>, <SYSTEM_PROGRAMS_DIR>, etc are fubared. I tried to use the win_dir var to direct a program component there and it simply did nothing. Changed it to "C:\Windows" and it worked. Tried "PROGRAMS" var and it sent it to programs(x86) instead of programs. "Program_data" didn't work either. Sure, I can direct these things but with a variety of systems, includeing 32 and 64 bit systems, in use they are not 100% reliable without a variable that ensures they can be found. In the distribution wizard, the "windows" variable is <Windows directory> while in the system variables list there is no such choice, only <SYSTEM_WIN_DIR>. Further, there is no system variable for "start_up" directory. While "C:\ProgramData\Microsoft\Windows\Start Menu\Programs\Startup" has worked so far, one can never rely on MS to leave anything alone.

Dave

"If you can't measure it, it's crap."
David A. Mallette, 1980

Post subject: Re: System Variables fubared
PostPosted: June 28th, 2012, 3:52 pm 
Godlike
Godlike

Opus: Evolution
Is there a question in there some where?

Code:
<SYSTEM_WIN_DIR>
<SYSTEM_PROGRAMDATA_DIR>
<SYSTEM_PROGRAMS_DIR>

These seem to work fine - I've been using them for years in commercial applications running on XP /7.

>>programs(x86)

Yes, because Opus is a 32bit application and will therefore use the x86 folder on a 64bit OS.

>>distribution wizard

There are plenty of posts on installers that have a better range of functions.

Mack

Interactive Solutions for Business & Education
Learn Anywhere. Learn Anytime.

www.interaktiv.co.uk
+44 (0) 1395 548057

Profile Visit website  

PostPosted: June 29th, 2012, 12:33 pm 

System: Dell Precision T5500, 8 core Dual Xeon 2.13 GHz, 24 GB RAM, All SSD drives
What you say is true and I understand it...though it runs fine from either directory. Problem is you can't point to two places to execute an option and I was unable to find a pointer that was absolute.

I am not aware of any other way to create a distro.

Dave

David A. Mallette, 1980

PostPosted: June 29th, 2012, 1:33 pm 
Godlike
Godlike

Mallette wrote:
Problem is you can't point to two places to execute an option and I was unable to find a pointer that was absolute.Dave

Sorry Dave, not sure I understand. Can you give an example?

Mack

www.interaktiv.co.uk
+44 (0) 1395 548057

Profile Visit website  

PostPosted: June 29th, 2012, 8:07 pm 

Solved my immediate problem by storing the two exes in the <system_win_dir> which is always present.

The problem was the that the program needed to be installed in the startup directory. Couldn't put the two emergency condition exe's in there (evacuate or shelter in place) because you obviously don't want the to run on startup.

It may be that I took the variables too literally. Since there is always a "Program" directory wether it's a 32 or 64 bit system my assumption was that it would always point to that one and not look in "Programs(x86)" on a 64 bit machine.

Right or wrong assumption?

Dave

David A. Mallette, 1980

PostPosted: June 29th, 2012, 9:30 pm 
Godlike
Godlike

Hi Dave,

First off, you shouldn't install an executable into the start-up directory anyway - only short-cuts should reside there and point to a program in the program files folder.

Secondly, you're right - it's rather disconcerting, but setting the Opus installer to install the executable to the <program files> folder will always use the 32bit folder - meaning that on an 32 bit OS - it's "program files" and on a 64bit OS it's "program files (x86)". Opus will then find the correct path using the <SYSTEM_PROGRAMS_DIR> variable.

You may find it useful to look at Advanced Installer as it offers more options to installer your application to your requirements. They offer a free version which works brilliant for most needs.

Mack

www.interaktiv.co.uk
+44 (0) 1395 548057

Profile Visit website  

PostPosted: July 2nd, 2012, 12:36 pm 

Thanks, thanks, and thanks, Mack.

What's the "why" on the startup directory thing? I am not questioning you, but as I have staff it's useful to be able to explain these things.

As to the shortcut, does one construct it manually and then use the installer to place it?

Also, just so I am clear, you are saying that the <system_program_dir> var will find it on either a 32 or 64 bit sys?

Dave

David A. Mallette, 1980

PostPosted: July 2nd, 2012, 2:19 pm 
Godlike
Godlike

Hi Dave,

Not a problem.

Quote:
What's the "why" on the startup directory thing? I am not questioning you, but as I have staff it's useful to be able to explain these things.

There are a few reasons, but if you consider any application that uses the SYSTEM_PUBLICATION_DIR variable to access resources, then those resources would have to also be in the start-up folder and Windows would try and start them. Whilst Opus might be able to create standalone applications, most programs have dependencies.

Quote:
As to the shortcut, does one construct it manually and then use the installer to place it?

Are you going to use Advanced Installer - if so you can add a shortcut to any of the installed files by right clicking on the particular folder.

Quote:
Also, just so I am clear, you are saying that the <system_program_dir> var will find it on either a 32 or 64 bit sys?

Yes :-)

Mack

www.interaktiv.co.uk
+44 (0) 1395 548057

Profile Visit website  

PostPosted: July 2nd, 2012, 2:52 pm 

Outstanding. Thank you, sir.
Dave

David A. Mallette, 1980