Digital Workshop

Welcome to the Digital Workshop Message Boards
It is currently October 11th, 2024, 7:23 pm

All times are UTC [ DST ]

Post subject: Video Add in HTML Requests Still Image Files
PostPosted: May 15th, 2014, 1:59 pm 

Opus: 8
System: Dell Precision T5500, 8 core Dual Xeon 2.13 GHz, 24 GB RAM, All SSD drives
If you attempt to add a video in an HTML5 pub, the requestor specifies only still image types, no video. Most of the time if you switch to "All Files" and select your MP4, it works. However, other times you get an unspecified publish error.

I've also found that page backgrounds must be an inserted image. Doesn't show if placed on the page...except on occasion, oddly.

I also have two m4's that, while playing fine on line, always show as "missing" in resource manager, though they are clearly present. Even more oddly, no videos at all show up in resource manager, only stills. That one drove me nutzoid for a while. They are present, and if copied up to the site manually, play just fine.

Pretty strange stuff...

Dave

"If you can't measure it, it's crap."
David A. Mallette, 1980

For this message Mallette has been thanked by : mackavi

Post subject: Re: Video Add in HTML Requests Still Image Files
PostPosted: May 16th, 2014, 10:28 am 
Godlike
Godlike

Opus: Evolution
Um...

The video object, in a HTML5 publication, does for some reason display the image tab rather than the video tab - but if you switch to the correct tab, you can pick video without any problem...

As for the missing resource, it seems that the video tab in HTML5 uses the file:// prefix rather than drive letter - and this causes it to appear to be missing in the resource manager.

Neither of the above have stopped the videos working in anything we've built, but I'll send support a message to make them aware of the bugs.

Mack

Interactive Solutions for Business & Education
Learn Anywhere. Learn Anytime.

www.interaktiv.co.uk
+44 (0) 1395 548057

Profile Visit website  

PostPosted: May 16th, 2014, 7:10 pm 

System: Dell Precision T5500, 8 core Dual Xeon 2.13 GHz, 24 GB RAM, All SSD drives
Yep, figured out what was happening with the tabs...after pulling my hair out for a while. I'd also noticed the modification of the file path, but didn't put it together as the source of the program like you did. I presume that is also why those videos always show as "missing" in resource manager even when they are clearly present.

One other strange thing that I hadn't seen documented is that it appears you cannot place an image on the page as a background. It simply doesn't show when published. I presume this is an HTML5 thing, but it took me a while to figure it out. Works when you place an image, of course.

David A. Mallette, 1980

PostPosted: May 16th, 2014, 7:51 pm 
Godlike
Godlike

Sorry Dave,

Not sure what you mean about the backgrounds. If you select page properties > image - it's displayed as the background.

As for the rest, confirmation from support that they've passed the issues along.

Mack

www.interaktiv.co.uk
+44 (0) 1395 548057

Profile Visit website  

PostPosted: May 16th, 2014, 8:35 pm 

By "Place" I mean use the insert image widget. Placing it straight on the page via page properties dialog doesn't work, at least for me. It's available, shows in preview, but not when uploaded to a site. The image is packaged and uploaded, but just doesn't show. Tried it several times on a couple of machines before using the insert image method, which works.

In the absence of master pages, it's second best to be able to select a group of pages and set the image for all at once. Can't really use that method when forced to place it on each page with the insert image widget.

Dave

David A. Mallette, 1980

PostPosted: May 16th, 2014, 9:30 pm 
Godlike
Godlike

Kooky,

I can apply an image background via the page property, do it en-masse and set it on a template and it works fine on all counts.

Mack

www.interaktiv.co.uk
+44 (0) 1395 548057

Profile Visit website