Digital Workshop

Welcome to the Digital Workshop Message Boards
It is currently September 30th, 2024, 5:31 pm

All times are UTC [ DST ]

Post subject: Writing to a database in a network
PostPosted: April 12th, 2005, 11:36 am 

Hi everybody,

I've made a publication for students in which they can fill in a test and the results will be sent to an Access-database on the network. So I've used Opus just for the layout.

If one student does a test the results are perfectly written to the database, but if more students i.e. ten students do the test most results aren't written to the database.

Does anyone know the answer to this problem? Is it an Opus problem or is it an Access problem? Access should be able to write data from more users at the same time, not? And where can I look for tips/hints?

For this message redominator has been thanked by : mackavi

Last edited by redominator on April 18th, 2005, 12:50 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Post subject:
PostPosted: April 12th, 2005, 12:21 pm 

Hi,

Thank you for your enquiry.

Please first ensure that the Access database is set to Shared using the following procedure:

1. On the Tools menu, click Options.
2. On the Advanced tab, under Default open mode, click Shared.

Now close Access, saving the changes if prompted, then test to see if the problem is resolved.

If the problem persists, please keep an eye on the directory containing the database whilst multiple users are using the publication. Access should create a separate 'lock file' (with the extension *.ldb) for each user who is connected. If this is not happening, there may be an issue with permissions to the shared folder.

A number of support forums and FAQ articles (http://www.netbenefit.com/support_sql.html#10) also suggest that the Microsoft Access ODBC driver has a maximum connection limit of 10 users, which may be related to the problems you have experienced. If you require a database technology which supports more simultaneous connections, you may want to investigate Microsoft SQL Server or an open-source alternative such as MySQL or PostgreSQL.

Kind regards,

For this message Robin Garrett has been thanked by : mackavi

Profile Visit website  

Post subject: Problem solved
PostPosted: April 18th, 2005, 12:50 pm 

Hi Robin,

Thanks for your quick reply. My problem is solved. The only thing I didn't do is give the users rights to create a file in the network folder. This is neccesary because the have to create a separate 'lock file' (with the extension *.ldb) for each user...

Thanks again!!!

Grtx

For this message redominator has been thanked by : mackavi