Digital Workshop

Welcome to the Digital Workshop Message Boards
It is currently October 8th, 2024, 1:35 pm

All times are UTC [ DST ]

Post subject: Bonus Score
PostPosted: January 23rd, 2006, 4:49 pm 

I’m trying to give bonus points to users who click on a specific series of buttons in a publication.

For example, I have three pages – each containing three buttons (top, middle and bottom). Each button has a numeric value. In addition to delivering a final score on page 4 (no problem with this), I’d like to give users a bonus score (of 10, say) if they click the middle buttons on each page (and only these).

Afraid my scripting abilities aren’t up to it, and I’d be grateful if someone could suggest how this might be achieved.

Regards

Roger

Profile Visit website  

Post subject:
PostPosted: January 23rd, 2006, 9:46 pm 

You don't need scripting - just set a flag variable for each item (eg. MID1, MID2, MID3, initially set to 0 and changed to 1 if the user clicks on the relevant place) on the final page put three "If" statements inside each other - something like:
Code:
If (MID1 == 1)
   If (MID2 == 1)
      If (MID3 == 1)
         Add 10 to MyScore

Profile Visit website  

Post subject:
PostPosted: January 23rd, 2006, 11:26 pm 

Thanks a lot, Duncan. I'll give it a whirl...

...In the light of day, the whirling has come to an abrupt stop. I'm doing something wrong, and I can't figure out what. Would you have time to let me have a simple sample based on the above?

Regards

Profile Visit website  

Post subject:
PostPosted: January 26th, 2006, 4:22 pm 

Try the attaced.

Each time you click on the correct button a variable is set to 1.

On page 4 all the variables are added up ( q1+q2+q3 page on show action.)

If total=3 then total=13

Hope this helps

You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.

Profile Visit website  

Post subject:
PostPosted: January 26th, 2006, 4:57 pm 

Thanks a lot, Brenden. I think it may be a matter of combining the suggestions received from both you and Duncan - bearing in mind I need the original values of the middle buttons to be retained if the user doesn't click on all three (middle buttons, that is).

In other words, I'm looking to add 10 to the final score ONLY if all three buttons are clicked. Otherwise, the final score will include their orginal values and not any added bonus.

So if I set the variables as you have, and add Duncan's If statements, it should do the trick. I'll give it a try anyway.

I appreciate your help.

Profile Visit website  

Post subject:
PostPosted: January 26th, 2006, 5:04 pm 

Please ignore my last post, Brenden. I'm asking you to do what you've already done! Let me sit on this for a few hours and I'll come back to you if I may.

Regards

Profile Visit website  

Post subject:
PostPosted: January 26th, 2006, 6:33 pm 

Brenden – the example you made for me works well (needless to say) but it doesn’t really answer my problem. This is my fault, because I didn’t explain clearly enough what I need to do.

Essentially. the publication in question will have 14 pages – each with six or more buttons. Each button will have a different numerical value. The user will click on one button per page, and end up with a total score. Nothing too difficult so far, even for me.

However, if users clicks on, say, the third button on Page 1, the fourth button on Page 5, the sixth button on Page 10 and the first button on Page 13 – I’d like to award them a bonus (added to the total score). All these buttons would need to be clicked to earn the bonus. If not, then the original values of the buttons in question would apply.

I hope this makes sense. Making it work is another matter!

Regards

Roger

Profile Visit website  

Post subject:
PostPosted: January 26th, 2006, 7:46 pm 

Opus: 8.6
System: Asus - Windows 7 - 8 - Intel Core 3 - 4RAM - 16RAM
Not sure if this is what you are trying to accomplished but have a look at the attached imp.

You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.

Profile Visit website  

Post subject:
PostPosted: January 26th, 2006, 9:21 pm 

Looks as though it might work, Leo, after I spend a little time adapting it to my requirements. Thank you very much for your input.

Regards

Roger

Profile Visit website