Digital Workshop

Welcome to the Digital Workshop Message Boards
It is currently October 9th, 2024, 8:15 am

All times are UTC [ DST ]

Post subject: Reading from a text file.
PostPosted: February 9th, 2006, 12:26 pm 

Hi everyone,
I have a query regarding an Interactive form I'm compiling in Opus Pro. This may be really easy to rectify but I,m quite new so please be gentle! I was wondering if someone could help me.

On my main page I have several text input boxes, writing to a disk text file. These boxes can contain a several lines of info.
I also have a scrollable text box for each input text box.These read all the data from the disk text files. The text input boxes are controlled with an input button and the scrollable text boxes are updated via the ticker trigger.

What I want to do is have the most recent information uppermost in the scrollable text box.
At the moment the most recent comment saved from the text input box is shown at the bottom of the scrollable text box.

Hope you can follow that.

Your help would be appreciated.

Post subject:
PostPosted: February 9th, 2006, 4:58 pm 
Godlike
Godlike

Opus: Opus Pro 9.75
System: Core i7, 16G RAM, Nvidia 640GT (desktop), plus Windows 10 and Android tablets
Hi Synergy

I'm hoping that a more experienced colleague or the DW team can come up with a better answer than this one.

I played around with the design with little success. The storage read actions or script seem designed to move forward and not backward, so they can read first and next lines, but not last, back to first.

The solution may lie in the direction of giving each new entry a separate storage variable and then placing these in reverse order to be read back into the scroll box. A little too advanced scripting for me, so I'll leave it to others more capable.

Maybe, this is not a basic issue: could it benefit from re-listing in the advanced section to gain better exposure? :)

Kind Regards,
Stephen

Post subject:
PostPosted: February 9th, 2006, 6:33 pm 

Synergy,

I am not sure I really follow you but take a look at the attached I think it may help you. I have only created it for one text input, but the same method can be used to add as many text inputs as you want.

Hope this helps

Brenden Knifton ddww

You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.

Profile Visit website  

Post subject:
PostPosted: February 9th, 2006, 6:55 pm 

Brendan, absolutely brilliant.

Can I be really forward and ask how hard it would be to delete say the bottom 4 or 5 lines at set intervals of a week or so?

Thanks for your help.

Jim

Syngenta, Grangemouth.

Post subject:
PostPosted: February 9th, 2006, 10:00 pm 
Godlike
Godlike

Opus: Opus Pro 9.75
System: Core i7, 16G RAM, Nvidia 640GT (desktop), plus Windows 10 and Android tablets
Hi Jim

Brenden's example (DW team) happily provided an excellent solution. :)

Opus has enormous versatility making it capable of some really fantastic actions.

Stephen

Post subject:
PostPosted: February 17th, 2006, 1:36 pm 

Hi folks.
I have integrated the suggestions above into my work. Thanks Brenden.

I do seem to be having a wee problem with the behavior of a couple of text boxes in the following file though. Would someone else run it and see if the fault is replicated.

The file is a basic shift handover log. To input info you must first select a shift code and pattern.

The problem I have is that when I move from QTY PROD text box to ORDER BALANCE the cursor freezes. The info must be input in order starting with an order number. These are numerical inputs

The first full input from the boxes works fine but the cursor freezes when attempting a second time. Anyone any ideas?

Edit: I have tried resetting all pub variables, disabling input boxes from the page properties instead of the current position. I have now managed to get round it but it doesnt give me the solution I'm after. To stop the fault from occuring I removed the Disable text inputs from the Submit properties. I really do need these boxes to be filled out in the correct sequence ie. left to right.

Maybe it is something simple and I am missing it completely but as they say, Its only easy if you know how!!

Regards
Jim

You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.